Post The Plan?

briang552014

Anyone have some good plans I can copy? I might be able to sell them to a client and not have to do an work!!! :D  :D  :D HaHaHa

Chief should open up another forum category "Good Plans" then we can post them for other members to use. Maybe if they are really "Good" we might be able to sell them to each other. :D

On another post, a comment was made that relates to this topic. Specifically, Wendy wrote: I often strip a plan down for posting simply because it makes it easier on others if you eliminate anything that makes the file larger than needed, or other things that distract from the problem at hand.  When we say "post the plan", read "post the part of the plan with the problem" if it makes you feel better.

How does one "strip a plan down" in this way?

A related question: How do people on this Forum feel about copying say a custom wall type from a plan that has been posted?

A related question: How do people on this Forum feel about copying say a custom wall type from a plan that has been posted?

Don't we already do this when using Chief, we copy symbols & objects from the library catalogs, download from 3D Warehouse, etc. The design is the arrangement of objects and not really the object in itself.

Certainly if I saw something unique in someone's plan that I would like to use I would ask them if it would be ok to use it. The question however would be if it is truly unique or novel.

For example I recently posted a symbol/object with a described technique that allows a molding/casing to be recessed. From what I can gather this could be considered unique & novel. However from my perspective it really has no monetary value, unlikely to become a millionaire by taking out a patent or copyright on this. Please feel free to copy this, my reward is to see it used.

Graham  

Very interesting topic, and I agree with most of what has been stated above.

The only thing that I would add is that there is a bit more to this story than just how these issues may relate to users of CT.  I read a book fairly recently that I think was titled "Who owns the future" and it was about how large corporations are trading in information about every aspect of our personal lives.

This information is viewed as being the key to future commerce, and therefore of great value in developing products and services.  The problem arises when the the owner of such property is not compensated for it.  I get that it may sound a bit far fetched, but consider how you would feel if and when you find yourself in such a circumstance.  I am also curious if anyone has actually read the release we had to sign in order to be on the new CT forum?

My point is that each of us should know their rights and exercise it in the way they see fit without any form of presure.  Something to think about.

How does one "strip a plan down" in this way?

You can use Delete Objects to delete any object type that's not pertinent.  Terrain, plants, furniture, fixtures, cabinets, lighting, text, dimensions....  those all increase file size. 

You can remove wings or sections of the building that don't show the problem.   You can do this either manually or using Edit Area - a very powerful tool.

And you can manually remove things that either increase file size or "complete" a plan you don't want "borrowed" - stairs, even doors and windows that are irrelevant.  To manually select by type, select the tool and just put a box around areas.  For instance - select the Window Tool, put a box around a part of your plan, and it will select only windows. 

View the file in 3D and just start selecting your various exterior moldings and such and hit the "delete" key -

Basically, use all your edit tools and reduce, reduce, reduce.  Just make sure you leave the problem!

Stripping a plan down not only gives many some comfort about their work not becoming "open source", but cutting the file size is kind to those trying to help.

All I know is that I am very appreciative of the help I get on this forum. If you don't want to send your plan file out then don't do it. Its as simple as that. Just don't expect people to bend over backwards to help you. Last I check we still have freedom of choice in this country (so far).