Generating Materials List For An Addition To An Existing Structure

sdkdesigner

I have a preliminary design for an outdoor room that will be attached to my house.  I recently upgraded to HomeDesigner Pro and see that it has the ability to generate materials lists for individual rooms.  For my project one wall and a portion of another will be shared with the new structure.  My question is how can I generate a materials list for just the new construction and not include materials for the shared walls?  Do I have to manually adjust the outdoor room materials list to remove the existing structure or can I specify what walls should be omitted from the list before HomeDesigner does its computation?

To generate really accurate materials lists in CA requires more skill than doing it manually, so I would just get a clipboard and do your takeoff. If you don't understand the structure well enough to do a materials takeoff, you likely wont understand it well enough to model it that accurately. If, by outdoor room, you mean a sunroom or enclosed porch, those are likely to require some structural elements that are not automated in CA. When I design sunrooms I use manufactured shear panels which will require pretty specific footing details. I can juke CA into acknowledging them and to letting me drag the header across in a portal configuration, but it may be more trouble than it's worth for a one off job.

In HD it is likely easier to do a save as of the plan to a different name ( ie Porch ML Plan) and then delete EVERYTHING that is existing or you don't want included.  The ML will only be as good as your model though . 

M.

Thanks very much everyone for the helpful suggestions.  I'll report back with what worked for me for future reference.  I didn't realize I posted to the Chief forum rather than the HomeDesigner forum.  Glad to get replies from the pros!