Pole barn style home with metal trusses

winterdd

1 hour ago, winterdd said:

It is....the actual fascia, eave and gable, is 2x8. Is that what you mean?

change your "SUB-FASCIA" to the thickness of your structure and your soffits will move to that thickness...  Currently you have a 2x6 structure and 2x8 sub-fascia so the soffiting is 7 1/4" from the deck leaving the 1 3/4" gap.

49 minutes ago, rgardner said:

change your "SUB-FASCIA" to the thickness of your structure and your soffits will move to that thickness...  Currently you have a 2x6 structure and 2x8 sub-fascia so the soffiting is 7 1/4" from the deck leaving the 1 3/4" gap.

That is what I am saying. Subfascia is 2x6, see below in red, and I have the eave sub fascia turned off. Regular fascia is 2x8 directly below what I circled. That is way more than 1 3.4" gap too. This is why I am puzzled.

image.thumb.png.002787b115f89b4958f45b1ebc654aaa.png

1 hour ago, winterdd said:

That is what I am saying. Subfascia is 2x6, see below in red, and I have the eave sub fascia turned off. Regular fascia is 2x8 directly below what I circled. That is way more than 1 3.4" gap too. This is why I am puzzled.

image.thumb.png.002787b115f89b4958f45b1ebc654aaa.png

I would say to post the plan. I think its something with your roof structure but it might be the age old problem where the wall will not build to under the surface of the roof.  If you want vertical purlins that is probably what it is.  Depends on your truss spans.

9 hours ago, winterdd said:

another pole barn style home

Got to love these..  I've done a couple this year already, got another new client wanting a 40 x 80.  The good thing, no load bearing walls,  :-)  

So what's going on Rob?  Why do you have 5 1/2" located twice?  You have 5 1/2" fir framing under the surface tab and then another 5 1/2" under the structure, both in the roof layer dbx.

CONT.  The double upping of those members looks to be your issue.  Looking at your attachment, focus on the framing view of that gable.  See how your top of wall frame doesn't go all the way to the underside of that purlin?  It needs too.  Since your not doing a roof structure per say, delete that 5.5" and your wall will continue up, and hoping fix the soffit issue.

BTW, I always build these gable walls outside the joist and post.  This way my wall goes all the way to the bottom of those roof members, AND now its just basically a curtain wall. This helps the framers too, since they don't have to cut around those metal joist.  My $0.02.

BARN TRUSS 1.jpg

BARN TRUSS 2.jpg

BARN TRUSS 3.jpg

1 hour ago, mtldesigns said:

Why do you have 5 1/2" located twice?  You have 5 1/2" fir framing under the surface tab and then another 5 1/2" under the structure, both in the roof layer dbx.

This is where I was thinking the mistake was but haven't investigated yet! I know it has to be a simple fix.

10 hours ago, mtldesigns said:

CONT.  The double upping of those members looks to be your issue.  Looking at your attachment, focus on the framing view of that gable.  See how your top of wall frame doesn't go all the way to the underside of that purlin?  It needs too.  Since your not doing a roof structure per say, delete that 5.5" and your wall will continue up, and hoping fix the soffit issue.

BTW, I always build these gable walls outside the joist and post.  This way my wall goes all the way to the bottom of those roof members, AND now its just basically a curtain wall. This helps the framers too, since they don't have to cut around those metal joist.  My $0.02.

BARN TRUSS 1.jpg

BARN TRUSS 2.jpg

BARN TRUSS 3.jpg

You were right, I deleted that "5 1/2" purlins" under the surface dbx and made the structure 5 1/2" purlins. It brought the roof down 5 1/2" so I then I used the transform/replicate object and moved in up 5 1/2" in the z direction and boom, it's perfect. May not be the proper way or best way but it worked and I can move on.

image.thumb.png.c166ee27b5b0bf0e3ad75fc4f9906b45.pngimage.thumb.png.ab7e09f813bab82ee0855c6cc06ad957.png

10 hours ago, winterdd said:

You were right, I deleted that "5 1/2" purlins" under the surface dbx and made the structure 5 1/2" purlins. It brought the roof down 5 1/2" so I then I used the transform/replicate object and moved in up 5 1/2" in the z direction and boom, it's perfect. May not be the proper way or best way but it worked and I can move on.

I believe I would have done it the other way.. Make the 5.5" part of the roof layer, and then delete and structure.  The metal joist are the structure IMO, and you won't be building that in the Chief world. This would have left your roof planes as is and moved your attic walls up.  However, I am glad I could help and it worked out.  

Daphne, AL, I didn't realize how close you were.  Great.  Now I have another place to run to if another Helene comes up into the Big Bend area. :)

Screenshot 2024-10-03 185432.png

11 minutes ago, mtldesigns said:

I believe I would have done it the other way.. Make the 5.5" part of the roof layer, and then delete and structure.  The metal joist are the structure IMO, and you won't be building that in the Chief world. This would have left your roof planes as is and moved your attic walls up.  However, I am glad I could help and it worked out.  

Daphne, AL, I didn't realize how close you were.  Great.  Now I have another place to run to if another Helene comes up into the Big Bend area. :)

Screenshot 2024-10-03 185432.png

When I did it your way, nothing changed soffit wise so I had to outsmart it. Nonetheless, I looks great now. Yes sir, Daphne. We didn't get s single drop of rain from Helene suprisingly.

1 minute ago, winterdd said:

so I had to outsmart it

We have to do that sometimes. 

2 minutes ago, winterdd said:

didn't get s single drop of rain

Yep.. another reason to go that way.  Most people here went east when they left, I have no idea why.  We rode it out at the house, since we were not in a surge area and about 9 miles off the coast.  Lots of wind, about 8" of rain, had to drain the pool twice, lost power for most of a day, but not a lick of damage.  One potted plant was knocked over was it.  Thanking God again.