Upgrade to X16 creating washed out/over exposed renderings

crossandclark

Go to solution Solved by scottharris,

Has anyone had any issues with the upgrade to X16 causing standard renderings to look washed out? I tried lowering the lumens on all the recessed lights and that didn't help. Initially, only some of the lights were on (not washed out, but missing lights), so I went into default settings for the camera view, and changed it from "max lights" to "Light set - default light set". Now all the lights are on, but it looks like a photo with an exposure that is way too high. We do demo renderings live with clients, so I need to easily pull new camera views and not go thorugh a bunch of settings every time to adjust the lights. All the setting from X15 have been copied over to X16 and I never had this issue before. Help!

8 hours ago, crossandclark said:

Has anyone had any issues with the upgrade to X16 causing standard renderings to look washed out?

I had this at first. 

I lowered the sunlight to 7000 from the 70,000 I used to have it at before X16. 

I also use a less bright background now as well. 

13 hours ago, scottharris said:

Can you post a plan with a saved camera so we can look at your settings?

This was a huge file, so I deleted the 2nd floor, landscaping, and most of the 1st floor. The kitchen is the main area showing washed out, so it is a good representation of the issue. In order for the lights to be turned on, I changed the floor camera to the default light set. The other issue I am having is how slow this makes the file since it has ALL the lights on in the model (whole model is an 8k sf home). But if I adjust the number of max lights to 50+, it doesn't keep all the lights on in the room I want to show, it randomly selects them. In X15 I had this set to max 8, but somehow they all still came on. My understanding was that this only affected the ray trace renderings, but it seems that is not the case, at least now in X16? 

Thanks for your help with this issue.

Lighting sample plan.zip

• Solution

For a Standard render view, here are a few settings you might consider adjusting; you can see this in an updated plan attached; see the Camera “Kitchen – Std”

-create a light set for only the lights you want on; in your example I created a ‘kitchen’ light set.  The more lights the brighter and slower your scene will be since it’s an open design

-turn off reflections – they can be expensive and only for mirrors

-I changed the lights from point lights to spot lights; and adjusted the lumens from 1200 to 850 – you could go lower.  I made a few other light adjustments on your can lights; you can open one and review.

-I adjusted the ambient light from 100 to 20

In one of the attached examples, there’s a .25 line under ‘hand drawn lines on top’ setting

Note, in the plan you attached, there are several missing materials, so, it probably will not look as good as your original plan

Kitchen – Std-LD.png

Kitchen – Std.png

ld.png

Lighting sample2.zip

On 9/23/2024 at 5:42 PM, crossandclark said:

Has anyone had any issues with the upgrade to X16 causing standard renderings to look washed out? I tried lowering the lumens on all the recessed lights and that didn't help. Initially, only some of the lights were on (not washed out, but missing lights), so I went into default settings for the camera view, and changed it from "max lights" to "Light set - default light set". Now all the lights are on, but it looks like a photo with an exposure that is way too high. We do demo renderings live with clients, so I need to easily pull new camera views and not go thorugh a bunch of settings every time to adjust the lights. All the setting from X15 have been copied over to X16 and I never had this issue before. Help!

When doing a PBR; Check your Daytime Backdrop intensity.  For interiors I change mine to 500, but for exterior views you may want to go with 35,000 - 40,000

image.thumb.png.04e5d81de7431dd2bb53f4e0edf95676.png

On 9/24/2024 at 8:34 PM, scottharris said:

For a Standard render view, here are a few settings you might consider adjusting; you can see this in an updated plan attached; see the Camera “Kitchen – Std”

-create a light set for only the lights you want on; in your example I created a ‘kitchen’ light set.  The more lights the brighter and slower your scene will be since it’s an open design

-turn off reflections – they can be expensive and only for mirrors

-I changed the lights from point lights to spot lights; and adjusted the lumens from 1200 to 850 – you could go lower.  I made a few other light adjustments on your can lights; you can open one and review.

-I adjusted the ambient light from 100 to 20

In one of the attached examples, there’s a .25 line under ‘hand drawn lines on top’ setting

Note, in the plan you attached, there are several missing materials, so, it probably will not look as good as your original plan

Kitchen – Std-LD.png

Kitchen – Std.png

ld.png

Lighting sample2.zip 9.5 MB · 17 downloads

This is very helpful, thank you!