Design help/ideas needed on this space!

DaViper

I provided a quick pic of my problem.  This is an extremely rough draft!  Basically we need to build a small office space inside a building.  The left door goes outdoor as the front entrance door.  The right door goes into the shop.  We are pretty much married to the dimensions of this space, which is roughly 13x33ft.  

Here are some other constraints that are causing issues.  

1.  Due to the small area, I'm really trying to optimize the floor plan use of space.  

2.  Would really be idea to get 2 offices in there.  Shown is one

3.  The half bath and kitchen area really need to stay at that far end due to plumbing access.  

4.  Need the conference table as shown.  Size and such is open.  

5.  The kitchen area is basic.  Just a bar sink, fridge, micro, some cabinets, etc.  

Where I am torn is I can see that wasted space as a small hallway between the kitchen area and office.  I can't really come up with a better idea.  I am NOT a designer!  So I always have trouble with how much space to allocate.  I end up walking into my spaces and try to picture what it will feel like.  

Untitled 5.jpg

9x8, 10x7, and 12x6 are about the smallest office with a door in/out that one can design.  Less than that you are better off with two cubicles in a larger room but lose privacy.

Your main problem is hallways eating up space to get to kitchen/bath from doors. 

The least intrusive option I'd choose would be to move the door to the shop.  Relocate the kitchen area to be a passthrough to the bathroom.  Should be easy to extend the sink plumbing.

image.thumb.png.3c5c13c97b609c38d0e87b8c9530e361.png

Hope this helps.

Really appreciate the help and ideas!  One of the things I was at least trying to avoid was passing through the kitchen going to the restroom, trying to think of the client I guess.  Aside from that, I believe you are correct and I may need to go down that road.  Most of our business would be conducted in the conference area anyway, and we just need a couple offices for general work.  

I put together another idea, but only one large office so far and I really think we should have two.  We are on the phone constantly and need the privacy.  

Untitled 1.jpg

Well, your new bathroom design doesn't meet ADA.  (The first design needed the door reversed and enlarged to 32" clear space when opened.  42" clearance from centerline of toilet to edge of sink.) 

Capture.thumb.JPG.10f003cb7acc370f2d8dad09140d82e6.JPGimage.thumb.png.6ac5707b4e57d67ef7619bc1cefc6c28.png

The 30x48 clear floor space allows door to swing in that otherwise impinges required clearances of toilet & sink.  

And your new kitchen hallway is too narrow.   Note, your original kitchen size was actually too small to maneuver around all the items you listed in #5 above.  (a refrigerator is 29" deep min. and base cabinets 26" with C-tops.  So 18" between sink and refrigerator is all you have shown - this won't work.)

Lastly, most businesses consider a clean bathroom to be a critical part of their brand and customer trust.  I would think your kitchen would be maintained equally clean.  And if so, your client would return to the conference table doubly impressed.

Ultimately its simply your call.  You could leave the shop door where it was and let that office be semi-private.  Not sure how much shop traffic you have there.

Great points! Though we are not putting this 'on the books' to be ADA compliant, I do want it reasonable.  Very, very little office traffic.  To be honest, I was in the shop today sort of walking out the space we allocated and my god that is small!  I simply don't think it is possible to do 2 offices and still try to have breathing room in the conference area.  

This space is just temporary until we get in the black in this new space.  

Basically this is a manufacturing facility so the only time people would come is to evaluate the shop as a new customer.  It usually doesn't happen more than once but maybe drop off prints, parts, etc.  I guess this is why we are not going big with the office space.  We also operate lean so few employees and workers have their own break room, bathroom, etc.  

Instead of "office" what about a car salesman's or banker style cubicles?

image.thumb.png.bc5e4f6c1d3c4eda9632374f80ceb858.png

Uline has many desk ideas.  Build the desk space w/ either a sliding glass door or maybe a pocket door for more privacy?

Below is the ADA bath, which also garners more room in the kitchen area.  Just enough privacy to make some calls and hide a messy desk :)

image.thumb.png.9be0c202720afb55ee62d7aa05815589.png

• Like 1

If you are not "on the books" for ADA compliance could mean that this work is unpermitted. I don't condone or encourage that approach but I do follow this simple rule gleaned from my friends ex husband (criminal defense attorney, aka "skum"). "If you are going to break the law, only break one law at a time". Therefore, build it to be able to pass the ADA compliance. Remodeling is expensive.

• Upvote 1

If moving the bathroom is too expensive you can make a smaller office space work.  Honestly if you think you will be in this space for a long while I recommend the largest office space possible.  This option does give you more conference room space and keeps the plumbing in close proximity to where it is now, so less concrete demo.  Ultimately the kindest thing is to think of a client who is in a wheelchair.

Screenshot 2024-09-18 at 12.45.35 PM.png