Covered Porch-Flat Ceiling

LotzCC

I am working on an as built model and am trying to draw the porch roof and ceiling which is flat and at the same level as the soffit. My first try was to set the finished porch ceiling level at the same elevation as the soffit. This has worked in the past, but in this model there is a cantilevered second floor partially over the porch. When I adjust the ceiling height of the porch room, the entire adjacent first floor ceiling moves down to the soffit level. My second try was to create a separate roof plan for the porch and to increase the dimension of the soffit. This almost worked, but the soffit will not extend under the cantilevered second floor. See attached images of the existing home, views of my model with both tried options, and the model file. Please advise.

IMG_1448.JPEG

Porch-Extended Soffit.jpg

Porch-Model 24 inch Soffit.jpg

IMG_1427.JPEG

IMG_1430.JPEG

IMG_1431.JPEG

Bargle-Existing 2024-08-02.plan

With the variations of planes for the soffit, I would add a solid and solids for trim details at that soffit. But, I am lazy. There may be a more sexy automatic way to do it but, let's be honest, I am not that sexy.

I run into this type of issue pretty often when I want the porch ceiling elevation to be different than the main floor ceiling. It can have an effect on the main floor ext wall plate heights & truss envelope where the porch (typically shorter) ceiling meets the main level. There's probably a way around this that I don't know about but I haven't found it yet.

All,

Thanks for all the response. I did a few hours of personal training with Chief trainer and asked them to address several issues like this, but most of the solutions were just work arounds, and manual drawing. I hope the developers are listening and working on solutions. My hack for the flat porch ceiling was to increase the thickness of the porch ceiling finish layers and then match the material to the soffit. See attached images.

Porch Ceiling Hack-View.jpg

Porch Ceiling Hack-Section.jpg