Scaling Issues When Converting to PDF

RRABuilders

I am using the MAC version of X14.  When I send a scaled drawing ( usually a site plan scaled 1" = 20') to Layout, and print it directly from the program to my large format printer (24 x 36), the printed image always prints to scale.  No problem.  When I print it as a PDF, the image scale is always about 5%-8% smaller, and won't measure correctly using a standard engineering rule.  Mac lets you select how you want the image to print (print to scale, print to fit paper).  When I select "print to scale" at 100%, the printed image is always smaller than it was drawn, and the called out dimensions don't match the actual line lengths.  Has anyone else had this problem?  We generate and sent PDF plan sets all the time, but can't do this anymore if the printed versions don't scale correctly.  Just had my third different plan set rejected by the plan checker as printed image differs from displayed dimensions.  HELP!

You may want to check how you are printing the pdf. Here is an image of a file that would not scale since it is set to fit to printer margins.image.thumb.png.224d327dc4671ecc329934b58d5163da.png

Here is an example that would print to scale.image.thumb.png.4bdb4dddda7565f7994100f8c73d6e74.png

When you print from chief to the pdf file you also have the same options of scale.image.thumb.png.a4618f56aafd4685ab5225022a3a2b53.png

I don't use a mac so it could be different. When you use Chiefs save as pdf it needs to also be to scale. And again when you print to hardcopy.
If This does not solve the issue then contact tech support.

Best of luck.

On 8/13/2024 at 11:34 AM, RRABuilders said:

I am using the MAC version of X14.  When I send a scaled drawing ( usually a site plan scaled 1" = 20') to Layout, and print it directly from the program to my large format printer (24 x 36), the printed image always prints to scale.  No problem.  When I print it as a PDF, the image scale is always about 5%-8% smaller, and won't measure correctly using a standard engineering rule.  Mac lets you select how you want the image to print (print to scale, print to fit paper).  When I select "print to scale" at 100%, the printed image is always smaller than it was drawn, and the called out dimensions don't match the actual line lengths.  Has anyone else had this problem?  We generate and sent PDF plan sets all the time, but can't do this anymore if the printed versions don't scale correctly.  Just had my third different plan set rejected by the plan checker as printed image differs from displayed dimensions.  HELP!

I've had that exact problem, but it was with a print shop printing to paper at 95% (their default) instead of 100%.

I'm on a Mac and have no issues.  Can you share a file you have had this issue with - strip out whatever you don't need to share, and I will try to reproduce the error so it can be studied and solved.