Adjust material definition struggles with tile

Elliot

I imported a 12x24 Portobellow Portofino Mist from the mfg website but it only had an image of just one tile. Not an image of several in a pattern. So I captured it, created a new material and edited it in the materials.  In the screen showing the edit options it lets me designate it as 12x24 and I select "Grid Offset"  but in the little 3d cube showing what it will look like it just shows it as a grid with no offset.  then when I paint it, it shows the same grid with no offset. I cannot get it to do the offset grid at all.  I can change angle, size, and offset amount in the dialog box but in 3d cube it stays as a grid.  What am I doing wrong?

image.thumb.png.9e09e0648f15079adcccaf10990efc33.png

image.thumb.png.6b10cb41cf71c288f4120ed7b0c036c1.png

29 minutes ago, Elliot said:

I imported a 12x24 Portobellow Portofino Mist from the mfg website but it only had an image of just one tile. Not an image of several in a pattern. So I captured it, created a new material and edited it in the materials.  In the screen showing the edit options it lets me designate it as 12x24 and I select "Grid Offset"  but in the little 3d cube showing what it will look like it just shows it as a grid with no offset.  then when I paint it, it shows the same grid with no offset. I cannot get it to do the offset grid at all.  I can change angle, size, and offset amount in the dialog box but in 3d cube it stays as a grid.  What am I doing wrong?

image.thumb.png.9e09e0648f15079adcccaf10990efc33.png

image.thumb.png.6b10cb41cf71c288f4120ed7b0c036c1.png

The PAT file is vector based and has no editing capabilities for your textures which are raster based. The Pattern panel is so that YOU can designate a pattern to represent your material but this will not make a stacked texture(The one you made) into an offset texture.
You need to make your texture source into an offset texture

Yes, like Rene was saying, you need to create an image where your tiles are offset in the picture and then import that into Chief. The pattern information you are editing only applies in vector view. If you look at the "White Tile" material in Chief you can get an idea of what I'm talking about (see attached images). The material in question has a source texture where one of the tiles is split in half so that when multiple copies of that texture are put next to each other in a grid, the edges will line up to create a seamless image. You can create an image like this in some kind of external image editing software like photoshop and then import it into Chief.

white tile.png

white tile 2.png

51 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

The PAT file is vector based and has no editing capabilities for your textures which are raster based. The Pattern panel is so that YOU can designate a pattern to represent your material but this will not make a stacked texture(The one you made) into an offset texture.
You need to make your texture source into an offset texture

thanks I will study that. Everything you said goes over my head. So I will study and learn....

Doesn't Substance Player make it easier in these kinds of situations to create your own tile materials? I've only used the wood builder part of it to create wood paneling and it works pretty well for that, but I don't know how well it works for custom tile textures.

1 hour ago, Elliot said:

thanks I will study that. Everything you said goes over my head. So I will study and learn....

Older post of mine, but should still work the same way.....using Paint , instead of Substance Player