Multiple electrical device labels

JamesR

Hi folks,

I search the forums but didn't find anything specific to electrical devices (there seems to be plenty of info on multiple room labels for example). I'm looking for a way to have several different labels for various electrical devices (switches, outlets, lights, etc) available on different layers and/or plan views. I would like to keep the default label for most of the items (AFCI/GFCI for outlets, single, 3-way for switches) but have other plan-specific labels for each item. The only way I'm thinking I can do it is with text labels that I assign to different layers. That has the drawback of if I move or delete the device, the text label does change. Any ideas for something like this would be appreciated! 

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

Hi folks,

I search the forums but didn't find anything specific to electrical devices (there seems to be plenty of info on multiple room labels for example). I'm looking for a way to have several different labels for various electrical devices (switches, outlets, lights, etc) available on different layers and/or plan views. I would like to keep the default label for most of the items (AFCI/GFCI for outlets, single, 3-way for switches) but have other plan-specific labels for each item. The only way I'm thinking I can do it is with text labels that I assign to different layers. That has the drawback of if I move or delete the device, the text label does change. Any ideas for something like this would be appreciated! 

This is easy to do with a macro in a label that has a conditional statement that looks at the active layer set of the item.

I have a system that I set up about 8 years ago that does exactly what you're looking for.  I called it my "Super Label Switches".  You just changed which label you wanted to use in any given layer set using a dropdown.  Chief has changed some things since then that kinda makes me want to update the system to simplify it a bit though.  Shoot me over an email to alaskansons@gmail.com if you'd like to discuss further and we can take it from there. 

On 8/3/2024 at 10:08 AM, JamesR said:

Easy for you I'm sure Rene :) Is there any examples, or does anyone sell an easy to modify version of it?

Thanks,

--Jamie

When Michael has a system that is applicable then I simply defer to him and promote his product. He's a good hard working guy that builds great systems and is so good to this community so its good to support each other here and give him the floor. 
If I could bother you though, curiosity has me...what is a use case for this for the electrical symbols? What are you showing on the different plan views?

4 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

If I could bother you though, curiosity has me...what is a use case for this for the electrical symbols? What are you showing on the different plan views?

I have the same question.  Personally, I've copied all the Electrical Symbols to my user Library and made all the editis I want there, including Labels, Layers and Layer Sets.  Then I set the Defaults for them.  That p[retty much takes care of even the most complex plans.

I also have custom Toolbars for Outlets, Switches, Communications & Alarms which use those symbols.

• Upvote 1

Its a bit overboard, but its mainly for low-voltage devices (wall plates, access points, cameras, etc). On the general electrical plan view I just note generically what they are for clarity sake. However, because there can be several wall plates in a room, and several cables ran to each wall plate for example, I have a more detailed plan view that has unique numbering for each device so they can be labeled and identified in the IDF or MDF. 

And to close the loop, Michael had a great solution for the problem. A+ on communication and follow up. 

Thanks,

--Jamie

• Like 1