Tesselation of 3D exports and 2D fill

Hello Chiefers,

I have been trying to export 3D models for some collaboration with people working in other software platforms. All my models are getting tesselated (see images). I have noticed that chief also does this with 2D fills of solid colors in plans. I find it annoying in plans (particularly when trying to export for marketing purposes), but it is a real problem with 3D exports, making them pretty useless for marketing 3D's without re-skinning or re-drawing whole sections of the model. Has anyone found a way to deal with this?

Cheers,

Tess1.jpg

Tess2.jpg

Tess3.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WhistlerBuilder said:

with 3D exports, making them pretty useless for marketing 3D's without re-skinning or re-drawing whole sections of the model. Has anyone found a way to deal with this?

It's quite standard for modeling programs to use triangular tessellation instead of quads. Regardless of the method, you'll encounter split faces on irregular shapes no matter which program you use. Ultimately, it's up to the third-party software you are using for media marketing to handle vector smoothing. Most major third-party rendering programs come with built-in smoothing algorithms. Which software are you using, and in what format are you exporting your model?

@Renerabbitt I exported in a variety of formats and my collaborators were using Sketchup, archicad, and Revit.

3DS exports appeared to not work across most platforms, and 3D DWG's had the tesselation issue. (As reported by others)

I would use 3rd party rendering services to create marketing images most of the time and they never complained. It has mostly been issues collaborating with Architects or other drafting firms where this issue is reported.

When I work on producing marketing plans I would have to adjust in Photoshop to create smoothed 2D images with proper fills. I find that annoying, but I guess its a common issue?

8 minutes ago, WhistlerBuilder said:

@Renerabbitt I exported in a variety of formats and my collaborators were using Sketchup, archicad, and Revit.

3DS exports appeared to not work across most platforms, and 3D DWG's had the tesselation issue. (As reported by others)

I would use 3rd party rendering services to create marketing images most of the time and they never complained. It has mostly been issues collaborating with Architects or other drafting firms where this issue is reported.

When I work on producing marketing plans I would have to adjust in Photoshop to create smoothed 2D images with proper fills. I find that annoying, but I guess its a common issue?

Question then is why are you exporting 3d dwgs instead of 2d dwgs? There is nothing that an end user in revit can do with a 3d dwg except for rebuilding the model. Same with autocad, they just need the 2d representation of your plan views and elevations in vector which they could actually manipulate. Trust me..its autodesk that does not want you to be able to build a model that works in 3d within revit from a 3rd party software...chief would steal half their user base if that happened.
Why is 3ds not working? In terms of what, conveying a 3d model or rendering or? They are not going to be able to feasibly use your 3d model for anything other than rendering. In sketchup maybe, if you were a top technician as you would need to use a slicing tool to get much of any kind of modification done. 
Im not sure what it is you're trying to accomplish as your end product that you would need to export and then modify in pohotoshop. We have section cut tools in chief architect that you can render in a raytrace view and it will look far superior to most other softwares.
Also in sketchup, vector lines dont matter as we would typicaly render using a plugin such as thea or vray which has vector smoothing.

So to summarize, I would be exporting to architects and engineers in 2d dwg plan views and elevations for them to markup for engineering and i would export in 3ds for 3rd party rendering in sketchup, twinmotion, D5, Lumion and supplement polycount capped items by exporting them as dae/collada

• Upvote 1

I was exporting 3d dwg's for use in 3d models by the architects so they could attempt to add stylistic elements to the designs. It has almost always been a waste of time, but when you require an architects stamp for multifamily part 3 buildings you need to waste time and money massaging their ego. If it was just for an engineer of course 2D dwg's work.

Yes, chief has wonderful 3d rendering capacity. It is the main reason we went with chief originally over other options. However, tesselating 3D exports and 2D fills is annoying and I would love to see this addressed in a meaningful way.

In regards to .3ds exports not working. I was never provided clarity by either rendering subcontractors or any of the architects I shared the files with. Merely that it did not work in any software or application. Not using 3d studio myself... I never had the opportunity to test it to figure out why.

I would love to hear from anyone who has been on the other side of chief exports to see if all software importing chief 3dDWG exports has the tesselation issue. Because that would be a pretty large defect in my opinion.

12 minutes ago, WhistlerBuilder said:

However, tesselating 3D exports and 2D fills is annoying and I would love to see this addressed in a meaningful way.

This has more to do with the export method than anything chief could do anything about and again is more a problem on autodesks end as they in fact smooth their own component based assembly but seems they do not have a vector smoothing option for imported 3d objects or your technicians do not know how to implement such an option. Simply put, you 3ds/dae/dwg as methods of export will always split into quads or triangles. No matter what it will be tessellated.
3ds works just fine, same as dae. 

Just circling back, this is not a chief problem, this is a them problem...from a rendering artist of 25 years.
renders in sketchup from 3ds:

I would suggest working with the architect to commit the design changes in Chief. It will be more economical.
As a last effort, you might take your export into blender and re-export as an fbx file

Getting the architects to work in chief is not really an option as they do not have the software and are used to making everyone work for them. Like I said... ego's.

It is good to see that people can make it work though. I wonder why others are struggling so much with the 3ds exports.

2D exports to JPG and PDF still have the tesselated fill for solid shape issue. It is not a "them issue". It requires fixing chief plans in photoshop or other software to produce marketing ready images.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/8/2024 at 3:40 PM, WhistlerBuilder said:

2D exports to JPG and PDF still have the tesselated fill for solid shape issue. It is not a "them issue". It requires fixing chief plans in photoshop or other software to produce marketing ready images.

Im really not sure what you mean by this either. All of us use this software specifically for creating jpg and PDFs and this would be a massive issue if some clean up is required. I can export a 2d image just fine, can you give more info on this?

1 hour ago, Renerabbitt said:

I can export a 2d image just fine, can you give more info on this?

I posted the same thing a while back. Not sure if this is what Op is referring to. 

I still get these faint white lines in pdf’s. I just ignore them. They even appear when printing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael_Gia said:

I still get these faint white lines in pdf’s. I just ignore them. They even appear when printing. 

I get the same thing on a lot of darker solid fills. It's annoying but I also try to ignore them.

Not sure I totally agree with you Rab personally think a lot of the problem is Chief not exporting all the information.

Attach a small garage I just exported out as 3ds with 4 views. Someone could use this to retrace in another program or convert mess to nurbs curves.

kw

2024-07-29_18-45-29Test Rside Elev.pdf 2024-07-29_18-45-29Test Top Elev.pdf 2024-07-29_18-45-29Test Front Elev.pdf

1 hour ago, KevinWaldron said:

Not sure I totally agree with you Rab personally think a lot of the problem is Chief not exporting all the information.

Attach a small garage I just exported out as 3ds with 4 views. Someone could use this to retrace in another program or convert mess to nurbs curves.

kw

2024-07-29_18-45-29Test Rside Elev.pdf 140.89 kB · 1 download 2024-07-29_18-45-29Test Top Elev.pdf 169.26 kB · 0 downloads 2024-07-29_18-45-29Test Front Elev.pdf 462.56 kB · 1 download

what are these?
what was the process?
what is the percieved problem?

4 hours ago, tundra_dweller said:

I get the same thing on a lot of darker solid fills. It's annoying but I also try to ignore them.

Did you try the solution in that post?
It seems like it had more to do with the program reading the PDF

These are translation of Chief as 3ds files and converted to vector drawing using nurbs. (Rhinoceros)

PDF was the only way to show the files as they looked prior to conversion as nurbs.

kw

12 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

Did you try the solution in that post?
It seems like it had more to do with the program reading the PDF

I was using Chrome for viewing pdf's and always had the line problem with solid fills, I've recently switched over to Nitro PDF Pro and still get them. Granted I haven't spent much time messing around with settings to try and figure out a solution, I'll just keep ignoring it or using hatched fills when possible for now.

4 hours ago, KevinWaldron said:

These are translation of Chief as 3ds files and converted to vector drawing using nurbs. (Rhinoceros)

PDF was the only way to show the files as they looked prior to conversion as nurbs.

kw

I would take a wild guess and say that the problem is in the nurbs plugin. I export models in volume to third party rendering programs that don't have any missing information unless I hit the export limit that is built into the 3ds protocol. Have you tried exporting as .dae?
Also curious why you are exporting to Rhino instead of importing something from rhino into Chief?