Mull in ICF Wall

DRyeHD

I've mulled  fixed window and an awning window in an ICF wall.  The mull wants to be the depth of the wall.  I've tried to change the mullion depth in the DBX but it doesn't seem to do anything.  Is there a way to adjust this mull to a normal depth?

Mull ICF.png

Unblock the windows.  Open both and go to frame tab.  Make sure "fit frame to wall" is unchecked.  Play with inset and frame depth until things look good, then block/mull.

When this is done, you will lose the surround of the unit, and let's think real world build 3D.  Such a window unit will have head, jamb, and sill jamb extenders.  You can create the right look with a 3D molding.  I do a 2D wall elevation and get my perimeter by going CAD detail from view, then paste it in place in the live section, and make the molding.

What is a lot of work?  Modeling a house in Chief?

I did this in a couple minutes, but did not go the extra mile and do the surround jamb extension inside.  I'll go back to the model, set the timer, and do the surround.  The window is set inside the ICF wall, which is the way I do these.  Fixed to the bucks with straps.

Screenshot 2024-06-04 135845.png

Screenshot 2024-06-04 135918.png

On 6/3/2024 at 6:05 PM, DRyeHD said:

I've mulled  fixed window and an awning window in an ICF wall.  The mull wants to be the depth of the wall.  I've tried to change the mullion depth in the DBX but it doesn't seem to do anything.  Is there a way to adjust this mull to a normal depth?

I've done this before with placing a pass through (with frame and trims, w/o a label) in the wall with frame to fit wall checked. Build both windows separately w/o trims, w/ frame recessed 1" - uncheck fit to wall. Mull together and add the desired label. Center it in the pass through. It doesn't mull the mulled unit to the pass through, so you'll need to move both items, but it looks good.

414984972_ICFWindow.thumb.png.19f4aa02688863d09cfcdc7e604707d2.png

21 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

Here ya go.  I gave the extender a color.  Five minutes twenty two seconds, would have been quicker if I had closed my other Chief files with all the open views.

Screenshot 2024-06-04 140834.png

This is the first time I've had to do this in an ICF wall.  You're right, 5.5 minutes is not too long.  I just didn't know how to go about it.  Thanks again!

On 6/3/2024 at 9:55 PM, GeneDavis said:

Unblock the windows.  Open both and go to frame tab.  Make sure "fit frame to wall" is unchecked.  Play with inset and frame depth until things look good, then block/mull.

When this is done, you will lose the surround of the unit, and let's think real world build 3D.  Such a window unit will have head, jamb, and sill jamb extenders.  You can create the right look with a 3D molding.  I do a 2D wall elevation and get my perimeter by going CAD detail from view, then paste it in place in the live section, and make the molding.

@GeneDavisI've not worked much with 3D mouldings.  When you say you paste the 2D CAD detail in the live section and make the molding, could you break that down in a few steps?  I've got the 2D CAD from view, but don't know what to do next.

17 hours ago, ValleyGuy said:

I've done this before with placing a pass through (with frame and trims, w/o a label) in the wall with frame to fit wall checked. Build both windows separately w/o trims, w/ frame recessed 1" - uncheck fit to wall. Mull together and add the desired label. Center it in the pass through. It doesn't mull the mulled unit to the pass through, so you'll need to move both items, but it looks good.

414984972_ICFWindow.thumb.png.19f4aa02688863d09cfcdc7e604707d2.png

@ValleyGuythanks for the advice.  I stepped right through this and it works great.  I still want to learn @GeneDavis' method.  I need more practice with 3D moldings anyway.

28 minutes ago, DRyeHD said:

@GeneDavisI've not worked much with 3D mouldings.  When you say you paste the 2D CAD detail in the live section and make the molding, could you break that down in a few steps?  I've got the 2D CAD from view, but don't know what to do next.

@GeneDavisI got it using a 3D moulding.  I like this because I can save it as one of my custom windows and reuse it as a unit.

I still don't understand about pasting the 2D CAD detail in the live section.  I just did a 3D moulding on one side, adjusted it so it looked right and drug it around the other two edges.  It looks good and will work for other plans.  Thanks.

Mull ICF2.png