Arches in walls, niches, 3d solids

Hello, I have experimented around for a while and am now posting here for anyone who has the time or interest to tell me how they handle these situations. Basically, in the working pantry area several areas where the cabinets will be built into the walls with a couple arches over them. In the past I use soffits and 3D solids but thought that using a niche would be more efficient and tried that option. I used niches on the Left side of the room and started with a 3d solid/cut out the arch on the R side where the arch is.  I like the niche option, getting a perfect arch was quick but it presents some other problems as far as snapping cabinets in place- so I ended up drawing cad lines to help with that. Hopefully I'm giving you enough information with the plan and screen shot. Question is what is your method to make this quick and easy? Surely I can make the niches work better? Thank you. 

image.thumb.png.49843f52db9c9f64f089cae67f56264e.png

niche question.plan

48 minutes ago, solver said:

Make what quick and easy? What's not working, or could work better when you use a niche?

Quicker and easier- Building cabinets built into a wall with an arch (or not). I find using the niche tool easier than using 3d solids, especially when there are 3 on one wall. I'm just wondering if someone else uses a totally different method other than what I've mentioned. 

What's not working well - The niche acts like it's own room and is separate from the "working pantry". Nothing snaps to the back/sides of the niche, I have to  draw a cad line in fp view or use dimensions to move cabinets, etc in place in elevation view. Also, the "from finished floor" measurement is different than the working pantry "room" (sometimes!). For example, one of my tall partitions - the 1 furthest on the left is 7/8" below the finished floor. One of the shelves also is not measuring from the finished floor even though I set it to.  

That's about all I guess. Again, I just came up with the niche method. I've never seen it done like that before - as far as taking it to the floor and setting cabinets into the niche. It's easier than what I was doing - though not without some irritations. Wondering if I'm missing a better way. 

For placing into the Niche use the point to point tool . I'm not sure there is an icon for that, I use a hotkey.

image.thumb.png.f000f2ee92b3ef5faf1862da01b42f6f.png

I'd also make a tall cabinet with all of the shelves adjusted but nothing else. Place the other cabinets, move them into the tall with point to point, then block, move the block in place. Plan attached.

image.thumb.png.d730981e9ad150ab87a658ddc2a505df.png

I don't see where you're measurement issues are but may be because the niche has a bottom to it?

When in doubt temporarily expand the clip lines to show all of the floor and draw a cad line at finished floor- (lock Length/Angle) to see what is going on.

image.thumb.png.0b19f7aadff522f561801bc1022f7b9e.png

Make Block.zip

• Like 1

So this is what I've figured out... Inside the niches is considered a different room. As you can see in the pic attached, the shelves and the far left stile/panel (plus the molding on top) don't even show up if the elevation is clipped to the room.  It's the shelves and the far left panel that are measuring 7/8" below the working pantry's finished floor. I can't seem to adjust the finished floor measurement of the niches. But I'm going to keep trying. 

Despite all that- The original question was more about how do experienced CA users create these built in areas? Because I'm assuming experienced CA users have found the quickest and easiest way. 

image.png

7 hours ago, sweetmelissa said:

the molding on top) don't even show up if the elevation is clipped to the room.

So turn OFF clip to room.... First adjust the end of camera focus, turn OFF clip to room, then turn on back clip after.

I added shelves and a cabinet with molding to the plan you sent since there was only one shelf and no cabinet. I did have to raise the one panel up 7/8". No idea why but easy enough.

image.thumb.png.ed18ab536a8766b10e06793b5ee6dffd.png

I do this with niches, while the last one I did did not have cabinets inside it did have a shelf. (look familiar :-

image.thumb.png.12be478d84999d6b4e53017a081fef79.png

Forgot to mention- FWIW around here a range that close to a wall won't fly with the inspector, nor will a standard shelf that close to a range top. YMMV

The question was how do experienced CA users create this kind of wall with built in areas- some with arches. Thanks for your help. 

For anyone else who might search for similar help. For now, I changed my approach somewhat. Didn't fix all the issues, but it did some. First, I leave a wall in the back and add an additional wall the depth of the "built in" space. Then I use a "doorway"- remove casing, jamb and set to "not through" on double wall options (under casing tab). This alleviates some of the issues I was having when I was using a niche- though you still have to adjust how you place objects inside of it. 

BTW Melissa... 

I removed my reply because it didn't appear to be the answer you were looking for, even though Mark made an excellent observation. 

Having said that, everyone on the forum is like a good neighbor, and we're all here to be of help.

As an architect with a civil engineering background, I will often provide structural and code related observations for example. Most importantly, I was definitely not the one who down-voted your post. (I personally really dislike that feature). Perhaps a member of the community reacted, since everyone here works with the spirit of cooperation. 

Again, if by chance the architect whom you're working with may want to know more about the codes, the link below goes through the same scenario. He may even thank you for it. What's being shown is in violation of IRC code which is a nation-wide standard. 

Kindest regards, and for what it's worth, great job with your design!

All the best!  

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/4894085/gas-range-too-close-to-wall

https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IRC2015/chapter-24-fuel-gas

• Upvote 1