Using Chief across multiple Windows desktops

So for those who don't know, in Windows 10 you can use the hotkeys CTRL+WIN+LEFT ARROW/RIGHT ARROW to scroll through different desktops where you can set up different working environments. I'm exploring this feature and think it might be useful to be able to have different projects on different desktops to avoid clutter.

Is anyone aware of a method of having the same license of Chief open in multiple desktops? When I switch to a 2nd desktop and open Chief it gives me the error about opening multiple instances, and I don't have access to the instance that is open on the 1st desktop.

I've tried switching the desktops while dragging a tab to another monitor, but once I release the tab it jumps back to the first desktop and places it.

I hope there is a way around this.

The desktops are nice and I use them (Windows 11), albeit a little differently than you.  I've created keyboard macro shortcuts for the multiple keys you mentioned to cycle through the desktops quickly. (I wish they cycled in a loop, and also wish they displayed on the taskbar which desktop you are in...there are 3rd party apps that get close).

For reference, I have 4 monitors.

To accomplish what you want, pull the tabbed project out of chief into a new window, then move that new window into the desired desktop(s)....this is accomplished by pulling up the desktop view of all desktops (click on the desktop icon) then right click on the window you want to move and chose which desktop you want it moved to, or put it on multiple desktops.

I just tested it and works well without any errors since it is basically one instance of chief open with multiple tabs and those tabs are put in whatever desktop(s) you desire.

I organize my desktops by business needs.

1. Desktop for "Design" where I have Chief and other design resources open
  2. Desktop for "Office": emails, browsers, finance software, etc
  3. Desktop for "Presentation" where I have a clean setup for both in person meetings and virtual meetings
    1. sometimes I'll delete this one and recreate it just for the meeting so i don't have to cycle through it

It works nice to be able to get rid of the 'office' stuff while designing....eliminates distraction.

Let me know if that answered your question or if I didn't explain it well and if it works for you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Actually, all you have to do is hold down the Control key while Chief opens in the second desktop.  Its the same way we open a second instance on the current desktop as well.  I was thinking the goal was multiple instances. 

3 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Actually, all you have to do is hold down the Control key while Chief opens in the second desktop.  Its the same way we open a second instance on the current desktop as well.

This will typically use more computer resources, so I try to avoid it, but certainly an option.

8 minutes ago, BenPalmer said:

This will typically use more computer resources, so I try to avoid it, but certainly an option.

Ya, I guess it depends on whether you want 2 instances or whether you just want access to the same instance. 

2 hours ago, BenPalmer said:

The desktops are nice and I use them (Windows 11), albeit a little differently than you.  I've created keyboard macro shortcuts for the multiple keys you mentioned to cycle through the desktops quickly. (I wish they cycled in a loop, and also wish they displayed on the taskbar which desktop you are in...there are 3rd party apps that get close).

To accomplish what you want, pull the tabbed project out of chief into a new window, then move that new window into the desired desktop(s)....this is accomplished by pulling up the desktop view of all desktops (click on the desktop icon) then right click on the window you want to move and chose which desktop you want it moved to, or put it on multiple desktops.

I just tested it and works well without any errors since it is basically one instance of chief open with multiple tabs and those tabs are put in whatever desktop(s) you desire.

3. Desktop for "Presentation" where I have a clean setup for both in person meetings and virtual meetings
    1. sometimes I'll delete this one and recreate it just for the meeting so i don't have to cycle through it

It works nice to be able to get rid of the 'office' stuff while designing....eliminates distraction.

Let me know if that answered your question or if I didn't explain it well and if it works for you.

Hey, that was a lot easier than I thought! Thanks!

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Actually, all you have to do is hold down the Control key while Chief opens in the second desktop.  Its the same way we open a second instance on the current desktop as well.

Yes, I know that, but I want at least one Chief window opened in each desktop. Ben Palmer's first comment got me where I need to go.

On 5/15/2024 at 9:46 PM, BenPalmer said:

It's a great solution, thank you!

On 5/15/2024 at 12:53 PM, BenPalmer said:

On 5/15/2024 at 1:02 PM, Alaskan_Son said:

Ya, I guess it depends on whether you want 2 instances or whether you just want access to the same instance. 

On 5/15/2024 at 11:46 AM, BenPalmer said:

I just found out that when you click on task view, you can right click any window on a desktop and select "show this window on all desktops." Any new chief tabs opened in a new desktop can be dragged to a new window and will only be on that desktop. So I now set my layout window to be on all desktops, and if I need to switch to another project temporarily I can switch desktops to avoid clutter.

• Upvote 1