Transition plans from old CA versions to current version template

ValleyGuy

I am looking for a system to start using past projects that I can access the information from the working .plan file to efficiently transition to my current version of CA. I have been drawing (using CA Premier) for a long enough time now that I have customers asking if I have certain types of plans (bungalows, two story, duplex, garages,...) that they can look at. Basically, what's in my portfolio that they might be able to use / adapt easily. Whether inspiration or just a place to begin, this part is easily enough satisfied by saved PDF files sorted into 'types' saved on my computer. However, actually using the .plan file information is where I struggle.  I have made a lot of changes in the last three years since starting in X12, my template now is light years from the OOB starting place. I like the changes that I have in place with my current X15 template and do not want to reuse the older plan templates. I can open an older version of CA and carry on with the old line weights, colours, layer sets, SPV's ....(unwanted defaults) without missing a beat. Or I can open an older version plan in the current version of CA and have all kinds of issues with deleted / changed things. As even my wall definitions have changed, copy and paste / importing from the old to the new is such a pain. 

I haven't tried using a CAD pic of an old plan view, then use make walls in a current template yet, would this be a viable option? Has anyone done this?

What does everyone else do to reuse old plans while taking advantage of the current template?

Simply import the necessary information into the plans.  Go to File>Import to see the options and experiment. I typically import:  Default Sets, Layer Sets, Default Settings, Saved Plan Views.  You can also import Wall Definitions if needed.  Anything you need beyond that can typically be copied or modified within the plan.  Hope that helps. 

I have plans all the way back to version 8 (.pl1, .ca1)...and while plans that old can take a little more work, it is still better/faster to import than to start over. Your plans, coming from X12 and newer, should be pretty straight forward.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ValleyGuy said:

X12, my template now is light years from the OOB starting place. I like the changes that I have in place with my current X15 template and do not want to reuse the older plan templates

Same methods apply

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

I have used the import tools before, which is kind of like moving the new defaults (walls, layer sets, SPV's,...) into the old plan / version. 

I was looking for more direction on some of the other time consuming work items like: items on two different layer set lines (sono tubes are now on 'front' or 'rear'). Fill pattern scale, line wt & transparency changes that need updating (drainage stone fill for the room 'sub-soil' is different) . I think the combination of the copy and paste as well as the style palette pasting will help greatly. I haven't really spent much time with style palettes and after looking at your video, it may handle a large portion of what I am looking for.

Like you said, it really is just a matter of updating / changing all the items in the plan as req'd, and right now it is a lot. I suspect that this work will become less involved as the changing of things slows down and the plan items become more consistent. Growing pains, mine just happened to start a little later in life lol.