Offset Post on inside corner

SHCanada2

one post left to move to the outside.

Currently it is the deck doorway wall's post so I cant offset it, but when I set that doorway wall to no newel post, there is then no post from the intersecting two ramps.

any ideas?

doorway newel post enabled::

image.thumb.png.eab97b01b8a1137fc613b379100495a1.png

uncheck newel post for the railing doorway wall

image.thumb.png.5e57d5e514e332a18c7b21d23ed8de50.png

So I could get them pretty close but got tired of trying to get them perfect.  

Here are some things that I noticed:

- I made sure the deck railing settings were the same as the ramp railing settings (where I cared which is why I didn't change materials or balusters).

- I horizontally offset the whole railing, not the newels or rails, by -2"

- I dropped the bottom of the newel posts by 6"

- getting the ramp to line up with the deck railings is a bit of a pain.  In your picture, it looks like your ramps are overlapping your decks which is probably going to cause problems.

- getting the "doorways" where the ramps meet the decks is even more of a pain.  In order to get them wide enough, you need to drag the openings much wider until it snaps into the corner and every time you touch the ramp it resets them.  You could also turn off the rail on these sides but I had more problems with the newel posts when I did that.

Overall, I think this is much, much easier if you just use ramps with landings instead of decks.  You won't get realistic looking planks and joists but you won't get them with the ramps anyways.

decks and ramps.jpg

3 hours ago, DBCooper said:

- getting the "doorways" where the ramps meet the decks is even more of a pain.  In order to get them wide enough, you need to drag the openings much wider until it snaps into the corner and every time you touch the ramp it resets them

I'm not sure I understand this, when I try and drag the opening wider it just snaps back. attached

However, moving all the railings out -1.75, instead of the ballusters and rails which I was doing previously, got it a lot closer to what you have, just the top of the inside post is screwed up:

image.thumb.png.cbe4c77fa3833c0fab9510162bad3784.png

but this is good enough

thanks

I'm not sure I understand this, when I try and drag the opening wider it just snaps back.

Yeah, you gave up too soon.  You need to drag it way past the corner and then you will see it snap and stay in the corner.

BTW, this is how it works for making corner windows too.  People drag the window to the corner and stop dragging when they see it stop but you need to keep going.

• Like 1