Drawing Sheet Setup/Plan Views

kwhitt

Is it possible to make the drawing sheet setup linked to the plan view?  I've got a plan view of the entire 1st floor being printed on ARCH D paper at a 3/8" scale.  I also need a close-up plan view of the kitchen which will be at 1/2" scale and will require the ANSI B paper size.  How is this done?  Thanks, Kevin

33 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Is it possible to make the drawing sheet setup linked to the plan view?  I've got a plan view of the entire 1st floor being printed on ARCH D paper at a 3/8" scale.  I also need a close-up plan view of the kitchen which will be at 1/2" scale and will require the ANSI B paper size.  How is this done?  Thanks, Kevin

The drawing sheet won't change automatically based on layout, and I don't think there would really be a benefit. You can of course use some CAD boxes / polylines as a guide for various sheet sizes, however the real benefit of adjusting the sheet, and more importantly, the scale, is proper line weight control and display. That being said, we are already able to maintain consistent line weights in layout, even when sending plan views to layout at varying scales. 

All we need to do is remember to ensure "Use Layout Line Scaling" is checked, and to make sure all our layer sets used in plan views have our desired line weights set consistently.

• Upvote 2

Thanks Rob.  That's what I was getting at.  I was unsure if the line weights would read differently when sent to layout.  So, you're telling me it makes no difference how I have the drawing sheet setup?  If so, what is the point of it?

So, under the layout do I need to set the scale to ½” if that’s how I’m sending the layout box from plan view or leave it as the default 1:1?

dss.jpg

21 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

So, under the layout do I need to set the scale to ½” if that’s how I’m sending the layout box from plan view or leave it as the default 1:1

In layout, 1:1 will keep the paper the correct size. You probably want that...:)

In plan view, set it up using the most frequently used scale factor for plan views.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kwhitt said:

send it to a different layout at 1/2"=1'0" at entirely the same sheet size and print at 1/2 scale. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Kevin, it's also very important that the line weight scale is the same in layout as it is in plan view, section / elevation view, and cad details.

I believe they are the same by default 1/100 mm and I've never changed this.  I'm not sure I get it yet, but you're telling me that if I tick "Use Layout Line Scaling" and the layout box matches the plan view scale, all line weights will be consistent even though the scale from page to page in the layout may vary?

23 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

send it to a different layout at 1/2"=1'0" at entirely the same sheet size and print at 1/2 scale. 

Thanks Renee.  Are you proposing that I use different layouts and then combine them in a PDF when ready for print?

8 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

I'm not sure I get it yet, but you're telling me that if I tick "Use Layout Line Scaling" and the layout box matches the plan view scale, all line weights will be consistent even though the scale from page to page in the layout may vary?

That is correct. A simple way for you to examine this is to send a plan view to layout. Perhaps crop the view to show just a small portion. Copy the view just beside and set a different scale factor. Zoom in and visually review the line weights. Toggle line weight scaling to see the effect.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Thanks Renee.  Are you proposing that I use different layouts and then combine them in a PDF when ready for print?

yes use this in an exteral editor. This solves any sizing issues with line weights so long as youre not driving line weight by the layout box settings

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, robdyck said:

That is correct. A simple way for you to examine this is to send a plan view to layout. Perhaps crop the view to show just a small portion. Copy the view just beside and set a different scale factor. Zoom in and visually review the line weights. Toggle line weight scaling to see the effect.

Thanks again, Rob.  I very much appreciate it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renerabbitt said:

yes use this in an exteral editor. This solves any sizing issues with line weights so long as youre not driving line weight by the layout box settings

Thanks you, Renee.