Easiest way to fix a plot plan catastrophe without losing work

GrizzlyBear

I was attempting my first plot plan. I started by importing an image of the site then scaled it accordingly. The problem arose when I attempted to drag my entire onto the image where the build site is. I am assuming that my mistake was not turning on ALL layers so I left a lot behind. This was done last night so an archive was created of my entire days work along with my screwup. I do have an archive from the day before so I guess the worst thing that can happen is I lose an entire days worth of work but is there a way to easily salvage this so that I don't lose that work? Obviously it has affected all pages my layout file as well. Hoping someone tells me it's a simple fix. ThxBouknight_rev2.plan.zip

I didn't have time to look at your plan but I think in general you are better off moving the site plan image instead of the building model.  If you do need to move a model around, you will probably have better results by using edit area (all floors) then trying to select things on each floor and moving them.

Yes lesson learned. What's more is that I rotated it 180 degrees from its original position. As I try to fix my mistake by lining everything back up the program won't allow me to rotate it back when attempting to select all objects at once. I am reduced to waiting patiently for some CA wisdom.

Used Edit Area to select the stuff off-site, flipped it 180°, drew CAD Line down and another over, from relative corners to find the distance in both directions:

X: 4923 77/128"

Y: 1842 23/64"

Transform Replicate.

image.thumb.png.2f4c9eddee34645e4fa2b8d64791ee79.png

You're gonna have to rip out and redo the electrical connections though. They're... not well.

And your dimensions need some gentle massaging, but it's not a complete loss of time.

Edit: I did the transform on the All Layers ON set, with all layers actually turned on -- except Electrical Connections and Dimensions. Best not to move those, just adjust them after.

I'm freaking out a bit because I've been working on this plan for a while....as you know because you have helped me several times. Could you post the plan file that you did that in? I have been trying all morning to right my wrongs with my backups and fear I have made it worse.

Will the file that you fixed also make everything in my layout file the same as it was. Thx so much TeaTime

So I followed your advice to the Tea :) For some reason the numbers were different, but easy enough to draw my own lines, jot down the length, and make the move. I still couldn't quite line it up for some reason though. Then I thought, since a common point is needed anyway why not just try selecting all of the leftover bits and using point to point move which I was trying before but it was the layers you mentioned before that weren't playing nice. So turn those off and I got an easy move. I lost electrical connections and most of my layout boxes but that's the price I pay for being new. Lesson learned: If you have to move your model (which I don't think you really should) turn all layers on first.

Sorry Griz, I'm only just now seeing this. Glad you got it to work!

Yeah, it's a hard lesson to learn, but the best advice is to simply never move the plan. Move site/terrain instead. There's a lot less to break that way.

But either way, yes, make sure all appropriate layers are displayed and you'll be a much happier person!