Separating Dimensions In Plan Views

GrizzlyBear

Go to solution Solved by TeaTime,

This is a tricky one for me to explain but I'll try my best. I have 2 plan view. The 2nd is a modified copy of the first (Foundation Plan View) in order to make a completely separate viewport for my layout file. 

I created new defaults for everything in the my Foundation Plan View.

1686781769_Screenshot2024-01-25at5_34_07PM.thumb.png.3f61064f38bb9185d8beb14e61ac012e.png

Then did the same for my new Post Layout View

1313971633_Screenshot2024-01-25at5_41_00PM.thumb.png.853fc52ab5f1c63b4aee42aca49757e5.png

When I delete or create a new dimension on one of the 2 plan views it mirrors the change on the other. What am I missing? What else do I need to do to get these two SPVs to act independently?Bouknight_rev2.plan.zip

• Solution

Both Foundation Dimension Defaults and Post Layout Dimension Defaults are set to use the same Dimensions, Plan layer.

You'll want to create separate layers for each to really separate them.

Same with your Text defaults, they're both using the generic "Text" layer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

Both Foundation Dimension Defaults and Post Layout Dimension Defaults are set to use the same Dimensions, Plan layer.

You'll want to create separate layers for each to really separate them.

Same with your Text defaults, they're both using the generic "Text" layer.

So after making the changes that you suggested I returned to the 2 plan views. I created a dimension in Post Layout view, checked Foundation view and success! It did not show up there. However when trying the same thing in Dimension plan view it showed up on Post Layout View. I will be so relieved to get a handle on how this functions.Bouknight_rev2.plan.zip

CA gives us the ability to control all kinds of things; line weights, text size, items dimensioned, colours, arrows. You can also turn on and off different dimensions for different saved plan views by saving a specific layer set to have a specific default set (that sentence could be a little overwhelming). For example, if you had a saved plan view for foundation - create a saved layer set, and a saved default set for the things you want to see and what / how you want to measure specifically for the foundation. Once you choose the saved plan view for foundation, you will have all those saved defaults at one click. You can do the same for the deck posts, or just use a different dimension layer set line with different defaults (units of measure, arrow, items to measure, colour,...) with in the foundation plan view. I put room inside measurements in orange on the main level to show the customer wall to wall measurements, and turn off the layer set when it goes to layout as the contractors don't want that measurement. On my foundation saved plan view, I use foundation dimension orange to show measurements for the sono tubes exclusively. (This works well as our building officials do not complain about colour on the plans.) It looks like you maybe are just missing the specific layer set, but you may also just need to add in a specific line to an existing layer set for the specific dimension you are seeking.

1190380414_Dimensionexample.thumb.png.5f23cf6407401897cb882b9ed8e35681.png

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, GrizzlyBear said:

However when trying the same thing in Dimension plan view it showed up on Post Layout View.

It looks like you got it, you just need to make sure the respective Layer Sets are only showing what they need to show for that view.

image.thumb.png.d16d4e870571f916bab254abd3f1535f.pngimage.thumb.png.05ba89758a77f0794691141bf9319a2b.png

Foundation dims are on in both, Plan dims on in both, Post Layout view is the only one set to show only the relevant dimensions.

• Upvote 1

Great info ValleyGuy! The way you have different colors for the dimensions make it a lot easier to read. Thanks for the tips!

And Time Time, what a "duh" moment for me. I should have known that at that point that the answer was ALDO dbx. Thanks for all of the help guys! I can't wait to get the hang of this software to a point that I can help others.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, GrizzlyBear said:

I will be so relieved to get a handle on how this functions.Bouknight_rev2.plan.zip

I'm fairly new at Chief so the pains of learning are still fresh - I feel your frustration as the learning curve is steep. This may also help support the information that you just learned above. It isn't really well explained in videos and hard to get a handle on just reading the help topics.

1194209691_BonusTip.thumb.png.cab4460737f68c0827f5a11799e8edfb.png

• Like 1