Icon Buttons Needed for iMac

ValleyGuy

Go to solution Solved by TeaTime,

After searching old threads I believe that I am looking for a 'Resource' file. I can not seem to locate the 'resources' file on my Mac - maybe this isn't even the file I need to locate?? Where would I access Tool Icon Buttons? I have a new Space Mouse coming in a few days and would like to load the tool icon buttons from Chief X15. I found information and videos for PC's which appear to be straight forward, I just can't seem to find the file to get started.

794904098_ResourceFolder.thumb.png.d1c67f87bb827143a8e09bf21388820a.png

Like this, only on a Mac.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Solution

MacOS doesn't work the way Windows does, programs don't install into a folder structure that you browse around. Instead they're just self-contained programs.

If you go to your Applications list and find Chief Architect, you should be able to Right-click or Option-click there's an option to access its contents.

Once in there, it'll be similar, you should see a resources\buttons folder.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TeaTime said:

MacOS doesn't work the way Windows does, programs don't install into a folder structure that you browse around. Instead they're just self-contained programs.

If you go to your Applications list and find Chief Architect, you should be able to Right-click or Option-click there's an option to access its contents.

Once in there, it'll be similar, you should see a resources\buttons folder.

You started me down the right path, Thank you. 

Incase anyone else needs to venture down this road....

Applications

CA X15     -RH click, choose [Show Package Contents]

Mac OS

Resources

Buttons

Mine appear to have white backgrounds in the file thumbnails, but have a darker gray/brown background in preview mode. Just have to wait and see what comes out when the mouse arrives and they get inputted. 

Thanks again TeaTime

• Upvote 1

I got a space mouse last year with a CAD mouse wireless compact. They are great to use and work differently in each type of CAD application.

I am interested as to how you find it to work with CA ? I seem to prefer mouse navigation in the 3D window, probably because that’s what I am used to in CA. I am always ready to learn new tricks in CA with a space mouse.

9 hours ago, mthd97 said:

I am interested as to how you find it to work with CA ? 

I'll try and remember to do a follow up. Every review seems to have the same conclusions; once it's set up and the user gets comfortable with it, '...how did I ever survive without it...' seems to be the end result. As far as CA, I bought the Enterprise model with the hopes of significant work flow improvement because of the additional buttons on the unit. The enter button being controlled by the left hand alone should save a tremendous amount of effort as I currently only have a 7 button mouse and the keyboard.

Here are some key things I'm hoping to gain from it in CA:

-Having 96 "Hot Keys" at your finger tips without having to look at the keyboard will be an efficiency improvement.

-Having to remember the sequence of acronyms, confusion of whether it was shift + letter or was it control + letter, as well as dealing with the errant finger dexterity mistakes should eliminated.

-12 single buttons to pop up 96 tools / library items - I can see about 200 key strokes that won't be required to accomplish the same task.

-The visual icon button on the screen should free up a little head space - remember the visual picture and not have to remember the hot keys associated with the picture.

-There should be considerable fewer miles put on my current mouse racing across the screen.

-Maybe even the multiple Macro ability could help with secondary mouse clicks, not sure about this option yet.

-I'm hoping that the 'view keys' will make quick work with the elevations while in 3D. Pushing a button and having RH,LH, Front and Rear, Top and Bottom elevations may be very beneficial - especially with CA's recent teaser of available Dimensions in 3D views coming out in X16. This may minimize a lot of Cross Section Elevation tabs being open at the same time as all the views may be accessible from one 3D perspective overview - no more adjusting and measuring in 2D then having to jump into 3D to see how it looks, then maybe to plan view to adjust placement, then back to 3D......

- In addition to the above versatility within one 3D screen, I'm hoping that the 'Special View Keys' will act like temporary saved camera views. There could be the possibility to have three additional saved camera positions to jump back and forth from just by pushing a button.

-And then there is the 3D picture navigation. I'm looking forward to having much smoother movements with greater control via the 'joystick' type control. Any zooming done not via the jumpy roller of my current mouse, will be welcomed for sure.

How about all you Space Mouse Enterprise Users out there? Are you experiencing results like this or am I being optimistic?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ValleyGuy said:

Mine appear to have white backgrounds in the file thumbnails, but have a darker gray/brown background in preview mode.

FYI/FWIW, they have transparent backgrounds, you'll see it better if you change color themes in Chief, or if you go Dark Mode, half your icons disappear (lots of Chief icons are simple black lines/pictures).