Creating a Kiva Southwest-Style Fireplace

DHerb2014

I'm "trying", key word, to create a custom fireplace for the corner of a Spanish style home. Attached is the photo of the actual fireplace. Trying to use solids tool and cone shape. I can tilt it off its axis, but have no way or idea how to create an opening inside for firewood, etc. 

Also tried 3D Warehouse, but they didn't have anything except traditional style fireplaces.

2 Living .jpg

• Like 1

Try getting familiar with solids and Boolean operations.  I see a truncated cone, only one-quarter of it, with the fire opening a half ellipse shape punched into its front.  The hearth is a simple slab.

Here is a stack with a fireplace opening, for a corner like what you show.  Model something like this plus the quarter circle slab that's the hearth, and you are on your way.

Screenshot 2023-12-15 152204.png

@DHerb2014, in the time it took you to write your first post, do the picture and the attachment, then write your reply to mine, you could have drawn a cone, a block, an ellipse and made it a solid, and fiddled with subtractions and exploding solids (so that you can faces in unique textures) so as to be able to model this fireplace.

To do it right for your specific plan, use Chief CAD in an elevation view to draw and measure your base size, height, and w x h of the fireplace opening, then use the measurements and CAD to determine your cone dia x height.  One click and two entries, and you have the cone.  Draw a big brick solid to use as the subtractor, and position it, then go and subtract the top part of the cone.  Now make a poly, a fat ELL shape, convert it to a solid, size it to be same height as truncated cone, position it so it cuts away 3/4 of the truncated cone, what is left is your fireplace stack.  In elevation view, draw and position the ellipse (30" w x 40" h is what I used), convert it to a solid, position it to cut your fireplace hole, and do the subtraction.

My file is attached, but whether it fits your space is a question.

Maybe Eric or Steve will enter the room and do a video.  It's a fun little exercise in solids and surfacing.  Really quick.

Kiva 80 inch dia x 12 feet high.plan

Gene,

I've been trying to understand what you're saying, but am totally lost after "use Chief CAD in an elevation view to draw and measure your base size, height,..."

I can't follow your instructions and apologize. Please see my efforts in attachment.

Beehive FP Elevation.jpg

What you seem to want is called a kiva fireplace.  Seen all over the southwest from Santa Fe to La Jolla.

What you show in your post immediately above is not the same shape as what is shown in the photo in your original post.  What is your goal here?

Are you needing to draw something that is going to get built?  Are you doing an as-built?  Has a client asked for some design concepts to be modeled by you to get ideas for possibly building or remodeling?

Here is a great resource from which you can get some dimensions.  https://adobelite.com/manuals/Adobelite_Wood_Burning_Installation_Manual.pdf

Thanks for sending the information on the Kiva fireplace. I researched the name "Beehive" fireplace and similar info came up. Glad there's an official name to this.

That said, the rendered Kiva fireplace that you sent the .plan file over looks very close to the original photo. I raised the hearth and used different colors, but too me, it's very similar. This is for my own use and am rendering a custom home with sunken living room. No client, just my own personal use.

Original photo of the existing home and rendered view are attached.

Kiva Fireplace Render and Photo.jpg

On 12/15/2023 at 1:21 PM, DHerb2014 said:

Mark,

Thanks for your comment and help. This is exactly what I'm looking for. By chance, could you send me the plan file for this fireplace? I don't have time to research boolean operations right now. Trying to finalize a project.

Best -

Dave

I believe Gene is referring to using Solids and the Subtraction, Merge and Union Tools , but it appears in his Plan he has explode the Solid as all the Solid's faces are Separate.

tilted cylinder      ( in elevation view )                                                                                               solid block for subtraction   ( to "cut" the cylinder)

image.thumb.png.7788406cacd2ae51b294f8ba43edb15b.png     image.thumb.png.d4705e0047f87cc0d63caadd37daa2d5.png

Select Cylinder > Click Subtraction Icon > Click shaped block 

do not retain Originals at prompt

image.thumb.png.e4b97d88c97194715503873e6d16cca6.png   image.thumb.png.922eb03e9fa5aec4a658c74fcd9c07a3.png

Then lay a cylinder down to cut the fireplace hole and subtract it the same way

image.thumb.png.55775bf6e00b7d61f156c353a6c1d948.png.      image.thumb.png.2403c39a2f0a21ad5605d587d90df352.png   

Mick

• Upvote 2

Mick,

Thanks for your instructions and layout. I wish Chief had videos describing these objects. I've used blocks and shapes before, but never Solids, Subtraction, etc. Great information that I'll work on tomorrow. Really appreciate your comments.

41 minutes ago, DHerb2014 said:

I've used blocks and shapes before, but never Solids, Subtraction, etc

I am not sure Chief calls it a Boolean Operation (except in error messages) as far as Videos and KB Articles, that may come from Autocad or Sketchup ? ( Gene uses it a lot )  but Chief does have a few short Videos on what it calls "Subtracting Polylines" like this one :

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/305/subtracting-polylines-that-overlap.html?playlist=98

or

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/playlists/98/moldings-primitives-3d-cad.html

Above is the full playlist for Moldings, Primitives, and "3D" CAD ...... it's more you need to play with it and learn by doing unfortunately but I think most will tell you Chief is not a great tool for "modelling" objects with as it not very intuitive....so lots of trial and error even for seasoned Users.... but once done and then turned into a Symbol things work fairly easily..... this Kiva Fireplace is a real doosie though as Chief does not like curved objects at all and is sssssslllllooooowwwwww  (that's very  slow :) )

M.

14 hours ago, DHerb2014 said:

Great information that I'll work on tomorrow. Really appreciate your comments.

Hi, I figured since I was 1/2 way there I'd finish this Kiva Style fireplace and post the Symbol , just remember when resizing it to keep the width and depth equal so it remains a semi-circle.

let me know if something doesn't work and I'll have a play with it.

Mick.

Symbol  :   MHD_Kiva Style Fire Place 9'.calibz

image.thumb.png.d3e35a7e79ba163208e4788cd4d34cd9.png image.thumb.png.3db2c8d76d88ea2ccacda62ef44bbfd0.png

3 hours ago, DHerb2014 said:

Attaching a screenshot of it in the sunken living room of a current project that's still in design.

Look nice :) , happy to see it worked for you.....

I actual made the different parts as different materials , so you can change the Hearth or Black Rim to a charcoal if needed , as well as the main Fireplace portion to for example to match your Stucco walls.

* You should Open your 1st post perhaps and add the Kiva Southwest to the topic name rather than Spanish , so other can find this topic and perhaps add the Kiva as a Tag as well as bumblebee, to help other Users.

M.

Good idea Mick. I'll do that.

Also, could you create an entrance door (pair of doors) with arched frame/hardware for a Spanish-style entry (each leaf would be 3' x 8' high)? I'd be happy to pay you for your time, as I checked and downloaded all possible custom doors from Chief, as well as go to 3D Warehouse without any luck. Attaching an actual photo of these. No more requests, as these are the only outstanding items to complete.

If you have a 3D source for these types of doors Mick, that would be sincerely appreciated too, rather than creating from scratch.

Thank you -

Spanish Double Doors and Frame.jpg

• DHerb2014 changed the title to Creating a Kiva Southwest-Style Fireplace
6 minutes ago, DHerb2014 said:

could you create an entrance door (pair of doors) with arched frame/hardware for a Spanish-style entry (each leaf would be 3' x 8' high)?

Hi, yes I regularly create symbols, Plan Sets and Train Others in Chief, eg. Builder, Designers and Architects.... I'll PM you my email so check the envelope icon top right, next to the Bell icon.

Mick.

MHDesign.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DHerb2014 said:

Here's the finished project. Am working on perfecting the interior shots right now.

Looking good, is the lighting under the  columns and at bottom of wall deliberate?  as it almost looks like PBR light bleed to me , which can usually be cured with a Foundation and Roof on a project if not already there.

M.