Has anyone tried PBR on the new MacBook M3?

HFreed

I doubt anyone, Twinmotion, Chief, etc has had the time to implement the M3's raytrace capabilities.

We probably won't see it for quite a while.  One can only dream.

I'm expecting my new 16" M3 Pro, MacBook Pro in about a week.  (36G)

I'll come back and update on PBR and realtime rt.

23 hours ago, HFreed said:

Trying to decide whether or not to upgrade my current MBP and would love any feedback if you've used x15 on the new MacBook M3 (Pro) chip. I'm particularly interested in how PBR is looking. Thanks! 

won't be able til X17 or X18+ I'd guess

• Upvote 1

On 11/19/2023 at 8:50 AM, HFreed said:

Trying to decide whether or not to upgrade my current MBP and would love any feedback if you've used x15 on the new MacBook M3 (Pro) chip. I'm particularly interested in how PBR is looking. Thanks! 

Are you asking about PBR or PBR RTRT?  PBR is still doable at least on the m1 and m2 chips.  Not sure if anyone has reported on m3 yet as it is very new.  RTRT is not currently supported by chief however is available in a competing software starting with the m1 chips.  The issue is the compatibility with the rendering engine Chief uses and the apple silicone architecture.  Kind of same reason why it is only a subset of nvidia and AMD GPUs that can do the RTRT as well.  Regular PBR still works though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2023 at 8:50 AM, HFreed said:

I got the M3 now. 

I haven’t done any extensive testing yet but so far any saved pbr views I have in plans look exactly as bad as they did in my previous intel MacBook Pro only they are faster and easier to move around in 3D with virtually no lag. I can now use pbr like standard render mode. 

now, if only I knew how to make any pbr look good, that would be great. 

My main problem in pbr on a Mac has always been this weird foggy halo coming in from the windows as if the windows have a white film on them. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

@Michael_GiaAny updates since you've had your M3 pro for a few months now? I've been using a 16 inch 2019 MacBook Pro for almost 2 years and have been able to get some decent looking renders for my clients, however, it takes forever and I'm constantly needing to play with my settings. I'm on CA x15. I'd love to upgrade to the 16inch MacBook Pro M3 Max 16-core.

13 minutes ago, TrishB said:

Any updates since you've had your M3 pro for a few months now?

No updates.  Still stuck with crappy albeit fast PBR action.

I'm not really big on fancy realistic renderings.

My workflow is often just zooming around in standard 3D with shadows and reflections on, live, in front of my clients.

As long as I have no lag doing that, I'm happy.  It's been a great and worthwhile update in that respect.  It's a pleasure, actually.

When I want to do some sort of presentation, then I export to TwinMotion.  Much better workflow and better results, but only for exterior renderings.

For interiors, I would say TM doesn't have anything over Chief, but if you want exterior shots, or video or a 3D model to export to your client then TM is the way to go.

@Michael_GiaThanks! My clients really like it when I use CA to show them around their planned spaces. Lately, though, my computer's been slowing down because I'm working on more complex stuff. I've also started making 3D videos for them with CA. I don't want to switch to a Windows computer, but sometimes I wish I could do real-time rendering for some of my projects.