Adding an arrow to text using the diamond

Ed_Orum

Go to solution Solved by DBCooper,

When I add an arrow to a text line using the diamond "add an arrow" below the text, the arrow does two things.
     1, it attaches itself to the bottom of the text line.  I would like it to attach itself to the center of the text line.

2. The arrow extends at an angle, I would like it to extend straight away from the text line.

How do I get the arrow to behave?
Using X15.

Thanks,

Lane

• Solution

1, it attaches itself to the bottom of the text line.  I would like it to attach itself to the center of the text line.

2. The arrow extends at an angle, I would like it to extend straight away from the text line.

It looks like the "diamond" handle will appear based on the side of the text box that you click closest to.  So if you are getting the handle at the bottom then this means you are clicking near the bottom and the arrow will then start from the bottom. 

As far as I can tell, there is no way to get the arrow to attach to the "center" of the text box because it will automatically attach to the center of each of the 4 sides.  As you drag the arrow head around the text box, the arrow tail will jump to the center of the closest box side.  You can turn off this automatic behavior by turning off "auto position tail"  in your arrow line or your arrow defaults.

If you have angle snaps on, it should extend straight from the side if you draw straight from the side.  If you have your angle snaps at 7.5 degrees instead of 15 degrees then it is easier to draw it at an angle.

I think the bottom line is that you should try clicking near the edge of the text box where you want to start the arrow from and you might have better luck.

2 hours ago, Ed_Orum said:

This is adjusted through your Arrow defaults - check Edit Active View list of Defaults.

if Auto Position Tail is unchecked, it'll stick to the bottom, checked it will move based on where you drag the arrow, moving to find the closest edge

2 hours ago, Ed_Orum said:

So pull it straight away? I Don't understand this one. You're pulling a line, just like if you're drawing one. As long as your Angle Snaps are on it should pull straight down, or at whatever nearest snap angle you're pulling it.

Just now, TeaTime said:

if Auto Position Tail is unchecked, it'll stick to the bottom

Ah, I stand (slightly) corrected.

2 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

It looks like the "diamond" handle will appear based on the side of the text box that you click closest to.