Materials List will not blank out.

KnotSquare

For fun, I included a couple images of the final model of the As-Built. It shows just how accurate a guy can get if he has the time.

Now to business...

The image named, "All But Correct.png" is a snapshot of the Materials List as I have manage to get it for all floors in the attached model.

As I design, any new materials I will want to show up on the layers not prefixed by, "EXST, ". The elements in the snapshot above I cannot figure out how to get rid of.

***Hint to one item: The foam sill seal must be for the Laundry Room out back as that is a 6" wide wall and 26' is about right.

***Hint to another: The EPDM is the top layer of the subfloor of all rooms in the main house.

***Hint to one more: The steel mesh for slab must be for the Basement.

I am unclear as to how to make these types of room elements swap to layers that I can turn off independently.

My Defaults are set up such that the Materials List generates of the layer set, "Materials Lists Layer Set [AB]". I want this to be blank with all my items in the model on the prefixed layers mentioned above. As I build on and remodel, add a second story, etc., I hope the new materials will fall on the default layers and stay out of my final Materials List.

When I select "Master List", nothing is listed, but I am not sure yet what Master List is.

When I run Tools/Materials List/Calculate Materials for All Floors I get what is shown in the attached image, "All But Correct.png". Help resolving how best to remove these final items would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Farrar

IMG_1350 (Reduced).JPG

Best SE Corner Fun Shot (Reduced).png

All But Correct.png

As-Built.zip

On 11/4/2023 at 12:23 PM, KnotSquare said:

I am unclear as to how to make these types of room elements swap to layers that I can turn off independently.

You likely can't, and you shouldn't need to.

Controlling what ends up on the Materials List can certainly be done largely via layers like you're describing, however you also have control over exactly how (and IF) each particular material is being calculated.

Take the Steel Mesh for instance - this is an automatically generated material based on the Concrete that's being used in the foundations Rooms slab floor. So you can't just change the layer that a particular room's Floor is on. But selecting that material in the Materials List and pressing the Find in Plan button at the bottom, it'll take you to a plan view with the item(s) using that material selected - no guesswork as to where it's being used at.

Then hit Open Object and check out the rooms Structure. Editing the Floor Structure to select the material, you can go to the Plan Materials list and change or edit the Concrete material being used in  all of the selected rooms. Of course it's probably a bad idea to edit something like "Concrete" overall, but if you have existing rooms with existing materials you don't want to calculate, you can make a Copy of "Concrete", call it EXST Concrete, then edit it so that it's Material List Calculation is set to None instead of Volume.

Same with the EDPM - just need an EXST EDPM material that's set not to calculate. This way it doesn't matter if the Layer is visible for new/existing components, you'll have one material being calculated and one being ignored.

Tea Time,

I got part way there, but do not know where to now tell the new material, "EXST, Concrete" not to be counted in the materials list. I thought it might be in the Room Specification, Components panel to handle the existing slab to remain. I will need new concrete work, so letting new concrete build with the default "Concrete" material will work I believe, but have yet to test that part. The issue with my first guess is I do not see any pull-downs in order to select none, and I have a feeling that messing with macros is not the solution you are suggesting.

Glenn,

Trying to combine your method with that of Tea Times, not only did I find where to change the Material Lists "Area" to "None", but combining the methods is making quick work of all of it and test runs of create a new Materials List for All Floors is working perfectly.

Thank you both so much.

The answer I got from submitting a case to Chief was cryptic. ChiefTalk, live on.

Mark

@KnotSquaresorry I'm just now seeing this -- tagging ppl by typing @, then their name, will notify them.

21 hours ago, KnotSquare said:

I have a feeling that messing with macros is not the solution you are suggesting.

Nope, not at all!

but do not know where to now tell the new material, "EXST, Concrete" not to be counted in the materials list.

not only did I find where to change the Material Lists "Area" to "None"

Sounds like you found it -- in the Material Definition, Materials List settings

image.png.0dee457029e804b73898523e4c09fde7.png

If you have two Concrete materials, one Existing and set here to None, and one New and set to Volume, then only the New concrete material will be calculated, regardless of what layer its on or if that layer is set to be used for the Materials List.