How to export .obj file

dskogg

Can anyone help with exporting this file type?

Looks like we can import but not export...makes no sense to me?

I tried exporting to sketchup but it turns every surface to 2 triangles and lines all over the place, any other suggestions to convert to an obj file formatt

1 hour ago, dskogg said:

Can anyone help with exporting this file type?

Looks like we can import but not export...makes no sense to me?

I tried exporting to sketchup but it turns every surface to 2 triangles and lines all over the place, any other suggestions to convert to an obj file formatt

Blender is free and a more acceptable world wide modeling standard, export to dae and then import export to your obj.

any particular reason you need it as an obj?

54 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Blender is free and a more acceptable world wide modeling standard, export to dae and then import export to your obj.

any particular reason you need it as an obj?

Hi Rene, is dae blender file type?

I have been asked to generate cabinet models for an online cabinet purchase site.

The software the web maker is looking at uses that input.

That is why I need that file type.

1 minute ago, dskogg said:

Hi Rene, is dae blender file type?

I have been asked to generate cabinet models for an online cabinet purchase site.

The software the web maker is looking at uses that input.

That is why I need that file type.

dae is a collada file which blender can open...and oh man I would be weary about offering that service. Chiefs cabinets are not properly UV mapped and have no flexibility in panel thickness as well as some other things.

17 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

dae is a collada file which blender can open...and oh man I would be weary about offering that service. Chiefs cabinets are not properly UV mapped and have no flexibility in panel thickness as well as some other things.

What do you mean not uv mapped?

how are cabinets any different than any other item in chief?

36 minutes ago, dskogg said:

What do you mean not uv mapped?

how are cabinets any different than any other item in chief?

OOTB UV mapping from Chief:
image.thumb.png.d5cb47947645071bc1915cb135b4652c.png
Stretched UVs, upside down UV's, turned sideways UVs, no laminated edge UVs, uniform interior UVs. This is not really conducive to providing manipulatable 3rd party cabinet symbols. Sure looks great for imagery, but I would have a lot of questions for the vendor I was providing for and discussion about the limitations of the export from Chief

2 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

OOTB UV mapping from Chief:
image.thumb.png.d5cb47947645071bc1915cb135b4652c.png
Stretched UVs, upside down UV's, turned sideways UVs, no laminated edge UVs, uniform interior UVs. This is not really conducive to providing manipulatable 3rd party cabinet symbols. Sure looks great for imagery, but I would have a lot of questions for the vendor I was providing for and discussion about the limitations of the export from Chief

wow..that is really screwed up.

Rene, anyway to show edge banding, do you have any work arounds?