Transfer of House Design to a Plot Plan

MSD123

Hello all. I am a student here and learning about Chief Architect and was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to take a house design that I created in one file and place it on a plot plan that I created in a separate file with the topography in it.  I am struggling with creating a composite plan that has both the house and topo on it together.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Please note that I am a novice at this so any guidance needs to be dummied down.  Thanks.

First advice would be to fill out your signature so we can see what you are working with.  Assuming that you are using Chief Architect Premier which is what this forum is geared towards I will give some more advice on your need.  However in the future this will help get you more answers and quicker.

Second advice is to save copies of your files so you don't mess up a main file while you are experimenting (which is one of the best ways to learn terrains).  

Typically you do the terrain work in the same file as the model.  It tends to be best so you can see how it works.  However if you are trying to test it out.  You can take a 3d rendering of the house and turn off any layers you don't want to see such as concrete slabs, etc.  and there is an option to make a 3d symbol of the house which will be added to your library.  You can then place that symbol on your terrain where you want it.  It is not able to be changed other than painting textures to replace the existing but it will allow you to maneuver your terrain in 3d to see what it will look like.  For the actual site plan or plot plan just use 2d cad of the terrain.

It may be beneficial to share a bit more about your specific struggles. For example, are you having trouble with the elevation of the floor in relation to the terrain? Positioning of the home?  The advice you get will be of more value to you.

Below are some threads that address the various routes you could go. Mentioned by the above members.

Here is info on moving the terrain...

Info on using the reference display...

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5435/using-the-reference-display.html

Or info on creating a symbol of the entire home...

Keep in mind, when you copy the house across, things might get a little wonky. Some items get placed on a plan might be set for "absolute elevation" where some are based on "finished floor" height. When you move it to the plan with built terrain, if things are funky, that is the reason.