How can I manually place and edit/move dimensions?

pattyw

I am trying to do a rebar takeoff and need dimensions.

1) 1st issue is when I manually place dimensions, a single dimensions is getting broken up into a ton of smaller ones at every point it finds along the way.  What is that feature called?  How can I turn off?  I played around with the Default Settings\Dimensions\Locale Manual\Locate Objects but then I couldn't even place a manual dimension anymore!

2) So right now I place a point to point dimensions and I'm careful to not pick any existing points on model so the dimension is not attached to anything.  But then I need to stretch that dimension some to account for rebar splice lap, etc, but I can't edit the dimension?  I try grabbing all the various arrows at the endpoints, but I can't edit the dimensions endpoints.  The dimension length is fixed.  All I can do is rotate the text, shift the text, etc.  How can I place an independent dimension and 100% edit all aspects of it?

thank you

X15 25.2.0.53 Windows 64

1) Use an End To End dimension which will only give you one dimension string.

2) Point To Point dimensions place a point (if it doesn't snap to something else) and then attach the dimension to the point.

To move the dimension, you need to move the point and the dimension will follow

8 minutes ago, pattyw said:

manually place dimensions, a single dimensions is getting broken up into a ton of smaller ones at every point it finds along the way.  What is that feature called?  How can I turn off

The Manual Dimension tool locates everything and anything it can. you can control how it detects things to locate by adjusting the Reach in the dimension default. But I'd sooner just use End to End - and add new segments as needed.

9 minutes ago, pattyw said:

I can't edit the dimension?  I try grabbing all the various arrows at the endpoints, but I can't edit the dimensions endpoints.  The dimension length is fixed.

Indeed it is. Dimensions locate objects and show the distance between. Changing it would be like wanting your ruler to show you a different number -- move the objects and the dimensions will change.

Chief has lots of videos on dimensions

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5429/positioning-and-resizing-objects-using-dimensions.html

I'd suggest burning through some of them

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5430/using-the-manual-dimension-tools.html

and learn how to work with them instead of fighting against them.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5432/editing-dimensions-and-extension-lines.html

I tried using the end to end but there is nothing for it to snap too. For example, I need 4' of rebar overlap, so I need to go 2' past the CL of my pile, but there is nothing for me to snap to so I can't add any measurement. I then tried letting it add it to the CL, then I dragged it up out of the way and tried to edit the one side to be another 2' further out but it wouldn't let me,

By editing the dimension, I'm not trying to say that I want to edit the label to a different value that what is really there.

Would be nice if there was a way that I could start a measurement, then as I drag it, sure, go ahead and show me all the sub dimensions.  Then when I drag pass the CL of the pile, I can stop when that sub measure is 2'.  Then if I let go, add the measurement as a SINGLE dimension from the starting point.

Ah. Yeah sounds like Point to Point is what you need then, since it'll add a Point that can exist anywhere, not associated with anything specifically.

Remember though that since Point to Points make a Point Marker to dimension to, in order to adjust the dimension shown, you have to select the Marker, then use the dimension to move the mark.

Alternatively, if you know that you need to measure something like rebar at a specific distance, drop a Point Marker or CAD Line, then use Multiple Copy to make as many as you need, then run a Manual Dimension across them (helps to change defaults to locate only CAD in this case)