Drafting over PDF with AI

jtcapa1

AI is moving at breakneck speed, just like skynet:unsure:, but in this case it would be a real money and time saver if you could get AI to link with CA and draft over a PDF plan set, taking a 2d set and making a 3d model.   Can we have that please?  Then you can launch nuclear weapons and wipe out all humans.

On a side note, as I spend hours drafting over my latest PDF plan set, I'm noticing how much more information we now have to provide in our permit packages.  Compared to the 10 year old PDF 2d plan sets I import, I'm shocked at how little information we provided.  Especially with contractor sets.   Less was truly more.

• Like 1

this would be nice, I do a lot of wall tracing. Albeit I would not consider it AI as I don't see it going to a database of the world to do it in a better way tomorrow when the database changes.

I perceive this a purely a software feature that could be built in CA. For instance, it could highlight what it thinks are walls and then lets you select more or less, then a button to create them.

On 7/27/2023 at 4:57 PM, ChiefUserBigRob said:

I wish I wasn't so oblivious to all this AI I am hearing about

haven't you heard, AI will make you breakfast and put the dishes in the dishwasher.

and soon every company will have an AI line of enhanced products ... that aren't really AI.

It is good at generating content, not so good (yet) at interpreting multiple types of technical data. Ask Chat GPT what is the maximum size of cantilever I can have on my side property line at "your address here"

It gives garbage for my address, but ironically it must know that it is because it tells you to consult the "authority"

10 hours ago, SHCanada2 said:

haven't you heard, AI will make you breakfast and put the dishes in the dishwasher.

and soon every company will have an AI line of enhanced products ... that aren't really AI.

It is good at generating content, not so good (yet) at interpreting multiple types of technical data. Ask Chat GPT what is the maximum size of cantilever I can have on my side property line at "your address here"

It gives garbage for my address, but ironically it must know that it is because it tells you to consult the "authority"

The wife is a Realtor and uses chat GPT but I haven't really wrapped my head around this whole AI thing. I instantly think about the Terminator movies and that is far as I can get with it.

What is a bit scary is the ability of an AI that has full access to the internet or specific databases to big for us to search.

There is the young Architect who published a YouTube video on head to head designing a 3d image for a specific hillside lot.

She worked her design (took many hours) and the AI worked its design (took many seconds)  Her design was much more specific to the lot and owners design sense, but the AI can regenerate an infinite about of possible 'looks' in seconds.

This might be a good tool for us designers, but would only confuse most clients.

True, that CA could incorporate a new tool to better convert a full PDF set of 2d plans into a 3d model, but that may still be years away.  They seem to have dropped their support and work on the CAD lines to walls and windows feature since it creates more problems than it solves.

• 1 month later...
On 7/26/2023 at 1:58 PM, jtcapa1 said:

AI is moving at breakneck speed, just like skynet:unsure:, but in this case it would be a real money and time saver if you could get AI to link with CA and draft over a PDF plan set, taking a 2d set and making a 3d model.   Can we have that please?  Then you can launch nuclear weapons and wipe out all humans.

On a side note, as I spend hours drafting over my latest PDF plan set, I'm noticing how much more information we now have to provide in our permit packages.  Compared to the 10 year old PDF 2d plan sets I import, I'm shocked at how little information we provided.  Especially with contractor sets.   Less was truly more.

How true,  I saw this during my engineer training during the early 80's,  The minute the professor would get a pc, the larger,  more complex and detailed the asignments became

It is also true of the building depts locally,  I am now creating a 20 sheet plan where it would have been 5 or 6 three years ago.  details and more details, and yet more call for more control over how the contractor is framing and constructing the house.  The part I really like is that the HVAC plans have to be done to the stage of specifying the exact equipment (to the model number) on the plans and I am also now having to add an appliance list showing the approved energy star appliances that will be installed.  Alll prior to issuance of the permit to construct

On 8/31/2023 at 6:45 PM, MPhillips said:

The part I really like is that the HVAC plans have to be done to the stage of specifying the exact equipment (to the model number) on the plans and I am also now having to add an appliance list showing the approved energy star appliances that will be installed.  Alll prior to issuance of the permit to construct

That does not sound right. Your in Walla Walla, where everything is almost over the counter on napkins.  What happened?

• 2 months later...

I saw a headline somewhere a few weeks back that the whole energy star program was somewhat of a scam.  

The headline could have been BS.....I just thought it was funny that so many things we trusted as true, might not have been.

Pencils on paper were fun in HS.