Auto Truss not breaking over Beams

Zirax1

Go to solution Solved by glennw,

Hello all,

Recently upgraded to X15 and started using the new Auto Truss feature.  I have a couple of beams and have trusses set to bare on them, but they are just going over the beam between the walls and not lapping on the beams.  The heights are correct, but unlike the I-Joists, they are not lapping on the beams.  They are working properly on the baring walls, just not the baring beams.  Am I missing something or is this a bug?

If I switch back to I-Joists, they lap properly over everything (walls and beams).

Thanks!

These are floor trusses ?  It sounds like they are behaving like roof trusses but likely they are programmed the same way.  Is there some advantage to breaking them ?  If so you will most likely need to do it manually.  Not usually any need to lap I joists either but they are programmed like regular joists so you have that option.  What kind of spans are you dealing with ?

Yes, they are floor trusses.  When I edit the truss, I can see the name of them are "Floor Truss".  They need to be broken due to the lengths.  Some of the spans are 34+ feet.  The length and height of trusses I am looking to use do not span that far.  There isn't a break option when I select the truss like there is on a wall.

The I-Joists are lapping (Breaking) successfully over the walls and the beams since I specified the walls and beams are bearing walls/beams.  The trusses just seem to ignore the bearing beams for some reason.

I would check with your truss supplier in your area.  In my area they will ship trusses up to 77' without special permits so even longer can be done but it raises the shipping expense so should be avoided if it is not necessary.   I am not sure they actually need to be broken.  You will need less material and achieve more strength if you just specify where the bearing points are so that can be designed for.  Certainly 48-50' should be an option without using any specialized equipment.

• Solution

I think you already know that you can use an invisible bearing wall to break the trusses.

But if you don't want to use a wall, try using a Bearing Line where you want the truss broken.

These are butted over:

1310289377_Screenshot2023-06-16at4_47_30pm.thumb.jpg.01a7a16f446bdd255ba540723865e055.jpg

These are lapped over - unfortunately there is a set lap distance of 200mm (8"):

203112518_Screenshot2023-06-16at4_45_34pm.thumb.jpg.53cd9da9ba1356486b7f229fc7d0038c.jpg:

• Upvote 1

Thank you both so much for your help.

Chopsaw - The particular trusses I want to use don't go bigger than around 24-26 feet at 16" deep (The size I am using).

Glennw - Thanks!  I completely forgot about the Bearing Line.  That did the trick.  The extra 8 Inches won't mess me up.  It's more about the accurate counts and the length being within the closest 2 feet.  Since I am doing lapped, any little bit extras won't matter.

17 minutes ago, Zirax1 said:

The extra 8 Inches won't mess me up.  It's more about the accurate counts and the length being within the closest 2 feet.  Since I am doing lapped, any little bit extras won't matter.

If you are using stock sizes you should ask for the specification sheets so you know exactly how they are meant to be supported before you decide on your beam locations.