Curved Roof Attic Wall Framing

ARF_PSG

Any know how I can prevent Chief from creating odd sized framing members? For example:

A typical 1-1/2" x 3.5" Stud wall is coming in as 1 -7/16" under my curved roof. Is there a way to force it to not change the thickness?  The weird thing is when I open up the object properties it labels the thickness at 1-1/2"

571135087_framingscreenshot.thumb.jpg.a2f02b04e7530587462caa93e7c8d4b1.jpg

Can't say that I've ever seen that - I do know that framing will often only build to a thickness it's physically allowed to, regardless of it's specification. Like, if you put a 12" roof beam inside a 9' thick roof, it'll only generate what it can.

But, wall stud thickness .. I think we'll need to see the plan.

I've attached a Link to Drop Box to download.  One of the other frustrating things that I've encountered with this plan is automatic framing.  Every time I turn it on, the floors do not rebuild.  The foundation doesn't rebuild, ect. There also seems to be a problem with my garage,  when i delete the foundation and rebuild it, it has a disconnected wall in the garage next to the dining room,  I have no idea why it keeps doing this.  Just seems like the more time i spend in this plan the more problems it generates.  I got so frustrated with the automatic build, i turned it off and built my joists from scratch.  Came out  A LOT cleaner but i also spent a great deal of time that i didnt want to. <sigh>....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uhxpqkq2xjn9je8/Caswell 1439F-3S-D.plan?dl=0

Huh. Well I played with this longer than I should have.

So, Find in Plan in the Materials List pointed me to the framing under the Stairs - so it's not the curved roof like you originally said, the issue is specifically curved walls under stairs.  And it's not anything you did, it's very easily reproduceable on a new plan.

image.thumb.png.d45eebfb08b124a2c91c8c0c87b6f7bb.png

The big problem is I'm not sure how to fix it. Changing the size on the Components panel doesn't update the Materials List, and when I updated the materials list to just say 2"x4", it just reverted on me when I made another change.

So I'm not really sure on this one. Send it to Chief!

Chief is resizing these studs when the program probably should not be doing that. I'd also suggest reporting this behavior. The stud isn't reporting incorrectly, it actually is resized.

I also made sure that this wall type had the default framing sizes and I made sure it was indeed exactly 1.5". And I made sure to rebuild this wall.

image.thumb.png.9894b5c82c62ef514c3d5a5a2475ad4a.png

On 6/8/2023 at 2:28 PM, ARF_PSG said:

when i delete the foundation and rebuild it, it has a disconnected wall in the garage next to the dining room,  I have no idea why it keeps doing this

I would suggest removing the zero thickness layer from the main layers of your foundation walls (sand / mortar). Extra layers like this usually create some problems. To have those items add into your materials list, simply add them as components to the wall.

And I'm sure you have your reasons and you probably already know this, however for block foundation walls that use 8"x16" blocks, you can use a single material for all wall types and Chief will report them correctly in the materials list. The thickness will be factored in based on the main layer thickness of the wall and different size blocks will be calculated. Although that may affect your code category...I'm not sure about that.

This would take a bit more time to go into, but your foundation defaults and your crawlspace room defaults need to be refined and then ensure that they match your project.

Make sure you have a room defined (using those defaults) for all the void spaces in the small space between block walls. None of those walls should be terrain retaining walls (this will mess up the bottom wall height). Ensure all foundation walls have the default top and bottom heights. Do not auto rebuild the foundation!!