Covering A Wall With Tile (Or Any Material)

Joe_Carrick

I just discovered a very handy trick.

Place a Material Region on a Wall - edit it to the materials you want, etc - add it to the Library & name it and put it in a folder for "Material Regions - Wall".

Now, to apply that material to any wall you just select it from the Library and click on the wall you want to add it to.  It will cover the entire wall and skip any Doors & Windows.  You can then select the Material Region and edit the extent as needed.

This is - for me at least - a much better method than using "Paint" or needing to define a new "Wall Type".

The Material Definition can be anything from a thin layer of paint to a composite of (backer board, thinset mortar & tile) or anything else you want to use.  It can be recessed into the wall layer or not.

The same thing can be done for Floor Material Regions.

Joe,

This a bit off the topic so to speak... I noticed that some materials like stone or brick don't have a pattern attached to them, they show up in a regular camera view, but they will not show up in elevation veiw. Here is a few images of 2 different stone materials applied.

My question is... Is there a way to create that pattern and modify the material so the pattern is available for that material in the elevation view?

post-4069-0-97518200-1423782682_thumb.jpg

post-4069-0-90168100-1423782694_thumb.jpg

post-4069-0-76125800-1423782709_thumb.jpg

post-4069-0-83246700-1423782718_thumb.jpg

Joe,

This a bit off the topic so to speak... I noticed that some materials like stone or brick don't have a pattern attached to them, they show up in a regular camera view, but they will not show up in elevation veiw. Here is a few images of 2 different stone materials applied.

My question is... Is there a way to create that pattern and modify the material so the pattern is available for that material in the elevation view?

Usually that would be because there isn't a Pattern set for the Material Definition.  Open each of those materials and check both the Texture and the Pattern settings. 

I think you'll then  understand.

Usually that would be because there isn't a Pattern set for the Material Definition.  Open each of those materials and check both the Texture and the Pattern settings. 

I think you'll then  understand.

Thank you Joe!

Yes, I had to go in into the pattern folder and select stone pattern and adjust the scale, in addition there is a drop down option with different stone patterns, you also have to select that one to get the shape of the material more or less.

post-4069-0-23972400-1423790675_thumb.jpg