X15 Changing the Height of a cabinet section, senior moment?

Steve_Matlaga

Hello,

Having a senior moment I guess.   

I need to change the right side bottom door heights.   I can't seem to adjust just that section.   
Is it just me, or an X15 issue?   I guess I'll go back to X14 and see if it works.

Regardless, Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? 

I can only change the height for the entire horizontal section despite this pair of doors being a separate 'entity'

Thanks.

image.thumb.png.21cbe3fa38f0ff50a344e540be436441.png

image.thumb.png.b1480cb634c720042f2af8fe4627570b.png

I've done so many projects with Chief.  I'm so frustrated with myself for know I'm missing something obvious.  UHG!  

10 minutes ago, Steve_Matlaga said:

I need to change the right side bottom door heights.   I can't seem to adjust just that section.   
Is it just me, or an X15 issue?   I guess I'll go back to X14 and see if it works.

You have that element in a horizontal section which dictates the height, it is not in a separate section. You would need to split the parent vertically and put your door there

• Like 1

It all depends on how you split the cabinet face.  If you want the doors on the right side to be a different height than both the doors on the left, you need to split the front face vertically first.  Your doors are all in the same horizontal group which means they all have to be the same height.

• Like 1

This is what I'm after. I need an elevation detail show this as one cabinet.   (which, honestly, I can just do it like I did. Cheat, put two cabinets together) The end result is the same.
I want to know how to do it the right way though>
Thanks guys.  I'm trying out the suggestions now. 

image.thumb.png.e26a10777ec4a23a1cd1e8d89c67e9da.png

So others may understand better, you need to split vertical HERE: TOP OF THE LIST/PARENT VERTICAL

image.thumb.png.f509ec6160f3f9103533aee4a757dbe8.png

Then I was able to make the proper adjustments. 

image.thumb.png.8e7aa91e38d30d41bbf072de8e2e98b5.png

Thanks to you both!   Hang banging section over!   :)  You think I would have figured that out.   Appreciate you folks!

15 minutes ago, Steve_Matlaga said:

I want to know how to do it the right way though

This really depends on what you mean by "the right way". 

• If for example the cabinet will be ordered as 2 separate units, then I'd say 2 separate cabinets is the right way. 
  • If you're drawing plans for the cabinet shop and you think simply adding a note that says "Build island as single unit" will do the trick, then I see nothing wrong with simply building with 2 cabinets. 
  • If its just for a rough cabinet layout, I would use separate cabinets all day long.
  • If however you're building a frameless unit and need to show and account for only a single 3/4" divider between those openings, then a single cabinet is probably the right way.

It just completely depends on what exactly you need to communicate and to who. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

This really depends on what you mean by "the right way". 

• If for example the cabinet will be ordered as 2 separate units, then I'd say 2 separate cabinets is the right way. 
  • If you're drawing plans for the cabinet shop and you think simply adding a note that says "Build island as single unit" will do the trick, then I see nothing wrong with simply building with 2 cabinets. 
  • If its just for a rough cabinet layout, I would use separate cabinets all day long.
  • If however you're building a frameless unit and need to show and account for only a single 3/4" divider between those openings, then a single cabinet is probably the right way.

It just completely depends on what exactly you need to communicate and to who. 

All valid.   However, when I'm thinking of proper elevations and shop drawings,  I want to render and have line drawings that reflect my intent of construction.  
I find it rather frustrating that Chief seems to ignore certain cabinet lines in elevations and leaves them when they should in fact NOT be there.  (moldings are fine example on elevations, they end up a mess sometimes).   Drives me nuts when I have to cheat and make one cabinet 1/16" shallower just so the elevation lines will show properly between two cabinets on the same plane(I do a lot of flush inset cabinets.   Then of course that messes up the counter top lines on the elevation.

Even after using this software for a couple years off and on, I'm always learning new tricks and finding new road blocks.   I couldn't live without it now.   The more I use it, the more I want to learn the smartest and most efficient methodologies!  Rabbit has been a great inspiration when it comes to designing special styles, custom toolbar buttons and such to save time.   Still have a lot to learn though!  :) Some of you are decade(s) into Chief.  Very much appreciate hearing from the masters!  

Drives me nuts when I have to cheat and make one cabinet 1/16" shallower just so the elevation lines will show properly between two cabinets on the same plane.

Here are a couple of other tricks that might help:

1.  If you turn on the layer for cabinet module lines, then you will get the lines between cabinet boxes.  You will also get a bunch of other lines though, like the ones that will show you how the face frame is built.  Maybe you want all the lines and maybe you don't.

2.  If you only want the lines between boxes, then you can make every other cabinet a different material and you will get the lines.  The material doesn't actually need to look any different.  Just make a copy of the material you are using with a different name (like material_2) and paint it on every other cabinet.

The picture below shows both methods (I just noticed that I forgot to paint the toekick on the middle cabinet with the same material as the cabinet).

module lines vs materials.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DBCooper said:

Here are a couple of other tricks that might help:

1.  If you turn on the layer for cabinet module lines, then you will get the lines between cabinet boxes.  You will also get a bunch of other lines though, like the ones that will show you how the face frame is built.  Maybe you want all the lines and maybe you don't.

2.  If you only want the lines between boxes, then you can make every other cabinet a different material and you will get the lines.  The material doesn't actually need to look any different.  Just make a copy of the material you are using with a different name (like material_2) and paint it on every other cabinet.

The picture below shows both methods (I just noticed that I forgot to paint the toekick on the middle cabinet with the same material as the cabinet).

module lines vs materials.png

This is VERY helpful.  I remotely remember this being mentioned some time back.  However, at that time, I would have no idea what anyone was talking about!   

I won't question the HOW, I'll just appreciate the results!   AND YES< I very much would like to see the cabinet face frame rails and stiles shown.   So, this is great. 

Off to create some new tool bar buttons ;)  I think the biggest issue I face with missing lines would be appliance panels next to face frame cabinets.  I hate when the Dishwasher Panel is just blended with the adjacent cabinets.   

So, the take away seems to be, same material equal blending of separate cabinets.  Alternating material, will equal visible separations between cabinets/parts. 

A click of a button to turn on cabinet module lines will turn face frame lines off or on. 

Thank you so much!