Patio cover dimensions and snaps question

someguy

Does anyone know why a patio cover that’s created with the rail tool has different dimensions and snap points? If I create one that’s 12’ wide and 10’ deep it says it’s 12’-1” wide and the snaps for dimensions will sometimes show some odd 1/16”. Is there a way to create one that has good dimensions or can I change the snap points/wall definition so this doesn’t happen? 

I am confused why it shows these odd dimensions/points. Same thing will happen with the room divider tool or ceiling beams. They snap to odd points when bumped against walls/corners and I don’t understand why. 

I am used to visual cadd and creating things in 2d and feel like these have odd points and I just need to understand what it’s snapping to and if if need to just accept it or if I can modify my settings at all. 

Chief has a weird way of treating railings like walls.  I think they do this so that they can create "rooms" for things like decks the same way that they create rooms inside the house.  Basically, the dimensions act like the railing is really a wall instead of a railing and locate where the wall would be and not where any of the railing pieces are.  If the room size does not match the size you think it should be, then it might be because your wall size does not match the size of the railing.

As far as getting a dimension with "some odd 1/16", my guess is that you have laid things out at that odd dimension.  The fix is to usually move things, using the dimensions, so that they are where you want them to be.  

If you want a better or more specific answer,  you probably need to post a plan.

Thanks for the reply.

Here is an example of what I am referring to. Some walls show up as 8'-7/16"', the temporary dimension say its correct. The label says 12' wide but the dimension says 11'-11". Depending on what dimension I highlight and make correct the other one says something different. I may just have to create a new wall type without sheathing to make it all easier to deal with.

PATIO.pdf

I can't tell a lot from the picture.  It's too small and hard to tell what you are actually dimensioning to.  Attaching the plan would work much better.

I may just have to create a new wall type without sheathing to make it all easier to deal with.

That actually might help.  Generally, when your wall dimension is different than your room dimension by 1" it is usually because of the drywall in the wall definition.  You can setup your room dimensions and wall dimensions to both locate surfaces and they should match but things are a little bit different with railings.  The wall is not really there unless you have a short portion either above or below the railing but the dimensions still treat it like it is.

When all else fails, I just make sure my wall dimensions are exactly what I want and then I manually put in my own room label with the dimensions I want it to say.  There is only so far I am willing to fight with the program and at some point it's not worth it.

if the object is right but the dimension is not quite right, I will do a point 2 point dimension, which if you dimension to nowhere CA will put in a "marker" point, which you can then move the marker point to be where you want it to be and the length you want, and no one will notice if it does not match exactly.

more of a generic solution...that I use when I get frustrated