Double headers on double framed wall?

plannedRITE

We've recently switched to showing our thicker walls (8"+) as being double framed, per the request of some of the builders we work with. However, there is now an issue with Chief's headers that I can't find a fix for.

When a second framing layer is added to a wall definition, Chief will double up the headers at an opening placed in said wall. So if I have a (2)2x6 specified at an opening in a 12" wall (framed with 2 rows of 2x6) it will build (4)2x6. You can see an a GLB example in the screenshot I attached. This happens when using a furred wall or moving the second framing layer out of the main layer.

It works properly if the second layer isn't noted as a framing layer but is there a way (other than that or manually drawing/noting headers) that will keep the headers from doubling up? It may be an oversight and need implemented by Chief but it seems pretty obvious so there may be a setting.

Thanks all

image.thumb.png.e40c93552744b6a545d9ea9e0cfecd95.png

Hi Ethan,

I was playing around with this issue. I found that if you make a separate furred wall inside, then frame it.

Change the header size and then copy the 2x6 header. Turn off the label for one of them. Then last thing is lock the framing in that wall!

Header-plan-view.jpg

Header-3d-frame.jpg

wall-spec-dbx.jpg

• Downvote 1

Or....In the window framing spec a top sill to form the buck for the interior frame. Change header spec from (2) to (1) The label will double so just select one and suppress the label. In a 3D view select the interior hdr and slide into position -- unless the whole thing is bearing then just leave it alone and spec 2X12 top plate(s) You could also just select any additional headers you  don't want and just delete them in the plan. 3D would still need cleanup. 

Interesting question though

frm1.png

frm2.png

frm3.png

On 2/17/2023 at 7:42 AM, plannedRITE said:

It may be an oversight and need implemented by Chief but it seems pretty obvious so there may be a setting.

I agree that a second framing layer should have some options for how headers are generated but I don't believe you'll find any settings that will preclude them from generating.  I think you're looking at manual framing modifications one way or another.  It just comes down to finding the most effective way of doing that. 

I think this would make for a good suggestion.  I'm not sure what the best implementation might look like, but I would personally like to keep any non-structural walls or extra framing layers from generating full headers and instead would like to have all those openings generate a generic header of my choosing.  Maybe if we had 2 different header options for openings...a load bearing header and a non-load bearing header.  We could then specify which header type any given framing layer was supposed to use.  I don't know.  Just spitballing.