Adding Cabinet Door Trim

RobUSMC

I am doing a project where we are applying a .25 x .25" brass trim piece around the center panel of a shaker door.  See attached pics.  I watched Eric's video on how to make a double shaker door and adding stretch planes but I think this is too far over my head.  This would be for single panel doors and drawers. Right now in elevation view I have added PS around the panel but it is time consuming.  Has anyone done this before and know of a shaker door in the library that has this trim that can be a separate material from the door? . 

Door With Trim.png

Screenshot 2023-02-10 165732.png

Screenshot 2023-02-10 171510.png

Shaker With Trim.png

Mark - If you take a cabinet door out of the library, drop it in plan, and add a simple molding detail in elevation view, select both in plan view, then save that combo as a door symbol to your custom library, do you have to deal with stretch planes?   Aren't they are already built in to a library door?

Rob - Seems like you were very close to being able to create your own symbol.  You had a simple molding drawn on a library cabinet door.  If you made a copy of that cabinet, removed the toe kick, the countertop, the drawer, any separations, and set the cabinet depth at zero, that should have left you with a cabinet door and molding that you could select and save as a symbol into your custom library.  

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I still struggle with custom door symbol creation just like many other users!!  

My cabinet on the right where i placed PS around the inside of each drawer panel and all three were different sizes. Took me probably 10 mins to adjust and get correct.  The one on the left was with Mark's door he made for me. They both look the same BUT I changed all drawers in 15 secs.  Again thanks Mark

Screenshot 2023-02-11 103924.png

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, SusanC said:

do you have to deal with stretch planes?   Aren't they are already built in to a library door?

Yes you have to redo stretch planes every time you make a new symbol.

FWIW the wainscot panel symbol took me a bit longer than normal to remember correct origin (have Covid not banging on all cylinders) Still using the door maker plan I've posted in the past; based on using countertops, wasn't longer than I could manage.

• Upvote 1