Vectorworks To Chief

country

Could any of the VWs users explain how to take a design drawing from VWs and put it into Chief so I can model it? Do I have to export a DWG/DXF and then import it into Chief and trace?

I could always redraw if that is the simplest option but I was hoping for something fast but accurate.

I take model data from Vectorworks into Chief often - using 3ds format primarily, for "symbol" objects.  If you are taking a plan that you intend to draw over in CA, then I would say simply exporting into PDF is your best bet.

I know Vectorworks has filters that allow bringing in outside complex model data that it then assigns all those objects into walls/roofs etc - but CA has no such feature that I am aware of.  Here is the example going "into" Vectorworks....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWep3flfQ0w (and that video was from 2010, they have really perfected this process since).

That's what I thought might be the answer.... At least there is lots of help for scaled PDF imports.

Any chance of an easy way to move the numerous callout notes over. I imagine these issues are some of the reasons why your staff didn't want to switch.

You should be able to export all the text call-outs simply using dwg format.  Id personally import into a blank CA file the copy over into your project file from there.

There is no question VW "plays with other" apps better than CA - but I do believe CA does a reasonable job.

Johnny

Would I put all of my available call outs into a new plan file in VW and export that, then sort once they are in A Chief plan?

Richard

That may work well, as long as I set up the chief file properly to match the original.

Thanks for the suggestions. Lots to learn and do but very little time.

Using classes and/or layers (but in VW classes are used primarily for objects on a particular floor, and floors are setup on layers most often) you should be able to "turn off" everything but what text you need.  Make sure you are doing this on the layer and not "sheets" (used for printing only).  When you go to export from VW, you will have an option to export only what is visible.

In Chief, Floor Levels are used as VW uses Layers.

In Chief, Layers are used as VW uses Classes.

In Chief, "Layout" is used as VW uses Sheets.

In Chief, Layersets are used as VW uses Layers/Sheets/Classes in combination.

..and vice-versa 

I have more callouts than I use in any one plan but I could easily add more to one and put them all in a plan text class (VW class). That sounds like a great solution. Thanks. Oh and yes, I know about using layers not sheets as I do DWG transfers to my Engineer all the time.

And do not forget viewports (layer sets) on Sheets that are automatically in the same file as the plan. Elevations and cross-sections that tell you they need updating. Those I already miss but there are many other awesome things that Chief is so much better at for residential.

You might look into exporting a DWG drawing into Chief and using the "CAD to Walls" tool. Probably will need some cleanup, but might save a little time if everything is set up properly

If anyone has had success with the CTW feature please post the cad and the Chief plan

and maybe  what you had to do to cleanup

I've been on this forum for a decade and have never heard of anyone touting that CTW works

the recommendation has been to not bother and just scale the image and do a trace over

I tried one recently and it was a complete failure

I sent the .DWG to tech support and they couldn't do it either

too many issues with the .DWG

Lew