Best Way to Draw a furred/dropped partial ceiling with recesses to overheight room

John_Charles

Hello

I have a query as to the best approach to create a dropped ceiling within a large room.  I have designed a 13' high room that will have the kitchen area within it, and the kitchen ceiling is going to be approx 9' high, with a 6" deep coffer and the face of the dropped ceiling recessed to allow for a light trough to the front.  In effect, it's a shaped 4' high box hanging from the ceiling.

The quick and dirty way I did it was to create a couple of soffits that formed the outline to get the shape etc of what I wanted and it all works fine.  The problems I have, are that when I do a section, the individual soffit outlines are showing and there is no framing to work with.  I guess I could edit the soffits and create one complete soffit, or use a series of ceiling planes to create what I want but I want to show framing and ducting etc.... I also tried creating a room within but that messed my overall roof line as it intersects with external walls overhead (so I scrapped that)

Can anyone here suggest a better approach or way to generate framing and clean cross sections?

Thanks

3 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

Invisible walls to define the low ceiling area, then ceiling structure with 2x framing ceiling joists and whatever air gap you need between the joist tops and the framing above.

Just the way it will be built.

I tried that, but it doesn't allow for the recessed face in the upper area....

That projecting lip feature is all over this house I modeled, which I built-built, frame to finish, and then two years after, Chief-built, way back in X5 as a learning exercise to figure the ins and outs of finish, furnish, and lighting.  The inside is all doodled up with 2D and 3D moldings and 3D solids.  Chief will only take you so far in framing for a build like this, but if you are really interested, you can manually frame this, or anything.

Untitled 1.jpg

Untitled 2.jpg

Untitled 6.jpg

Untitled 3.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/12/2023 at 4:10 PM, GeneDavis said:

Chief's Austin Kitchen in the Gallery section of the website.  You can download the file to examine the build.

Screenshot 2023-01-12 170757.jpg

Thanks Gene.  I had a look at that one and it's used soffits.  I guess I am going to have to figure out how to do manual framing from scratch....

If what you have is a simple ceiling drop with a "lip" across its front, you can build the ceiling drop so it will frame and then glue on the lip as a polyline solid.  That stick-out lip you want to do for decor and lighting above can be framed with steel studs.

I'm actually using a couple of LVL's for that and framing everything else off of that. What is kind of bugging me is that I can't figure out a way to actually draw it in this software...

I might be wrong (as there may be a way to do this that I don't know yet) but the focus on PBR at the expense of eg framing a dropped down ceiling so I can work with a clean section seems a bit odd....