Twinmotion, Better grass and Rendering made easy

stevenyhof

11 hours ago, MarckusW said:

Thanks Kbird1.

If cost were not a factor, why TM?

Because of its ties to unreal 5. The industry is moving in this direction as a whole and unreal has widespread use, much broader than Lumion.
Also ease of use and continued developments. Twinmotion produced a pathtracer 2 full quarters sooner than lumion for instance.
Another reason, integration with quixel megascans and sketchfab.
and one more, twinmotion ships free with autodesk products now and utilizes the datasmith plugin.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, stevenyhof said:

Might be best to remove those first posts and/or details. I'm currently working on a B&B siding in CA and I think it's doing a good job. I'm using one of their materials and modifying it. I have learned over the past few years just to make white siding as my default and then I can color it to what ever I like. I have most of my materials connected to my template materials so making changes if easy and uniform...

https://myplan.stevenyhofdesigns.com/P8uNGznN

I'm including the files I was using in the video above.

Board_Batten_White.zip 6.13 MB · 2 downloads

Board and batten is best when using the material region tool as a trick. Serious rendering artists are not going to use a texture for board and batten unless the composition is from very far away.
BTW I already have several high quality siding textures that I give away here on the forums in the symbols and content section or direct from my website in the free stuff section.
Your template scene does not need grass to be applied FYI, I personally would prefer it if it weren't and instead was erased but still in the container tree so that we could apply it. Should be applied as the skatter tool instead of the painter tools. I do go over this several times in various twinmotion live videos on my youtube

Ok, now I am really going to get back to work.
Here are three Twinmotion backgrounds.

• Twinmotion-lake.tm - this has the landscape image removed showing the water of the main image background and a smaller land surface that is designed to view the house from any rotation with sparse trees in every view. The Lake will also be viewed in every position. (Like a small island). At some point I will want to improve the look of TM's default lake image.
  • Twinmotion-open.tm - this still has the landscape image to give the appearance of more open and vast land mass. I have less trees in this file for a more open feel and look.
  • Twinmotion-wooded.tm - this is the original file I was working on and has more trees so it looks more wooded.

On the right menu tree in the software are several grass groups. Click the eye icon to turn more or less grass on...

1.thumb.jpg.e0bb273e38c75f51fb4949c37f3bc665.jpg

When you open Twinmotion you can now click the + to import your model.3ds file... OR Ctrl+I / Cmd+I

2.thumb.jpg.c905f5174fa6d1ba3ae99f0ed6d1810e.jpg

All three Twinmotion background files can be downloaded here...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11dnE6ywj2nm9qgKiJ4pncrYRmDW_6fMp/view?usp=sharing

If anyone messes with this, please upload your result in this thread, I would love to see your masterpieces. This has been a fun learning experience and thank you all for engaging with me.

Lake File
lake.thumb.jpg.7cb33df0a0468bd440078289f6d4e70c.jpg

Open File
open.thumb.jpg.19d8b5ad9ac154387ebee53e14e015db.jpg 

Wooded

wooded.thumb.jpg.51e396085cff4fa2f733e8cf02ae0d69.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Renerabbitt said:

Because of its ties to unreal 5. The industry is moving in this direction as a whole and unreal has widespread use

For sure , I have posted on here a few times I wish Chief had just used the Unreal 4/5 Engine.....

M.

12 hours ago, stevenyhof said:

I found a smaller investment, a week or so (maybe 30 hours) learning and developing a system within Twinmotion that I am very happy with, and in less than 15 minutes to produce a rendering. And to top it off, I just gave anyone who wants it, my background and settings, and some direction to generate their own rendering in less than 15 minutes.

Thanks Steve. Thirty hours to get viable results answers the question well. Mark

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

Because of its ties to unreal 5. The industry is moving in this direction as a whole and unreal has widespread use, much broader than Lumion.
Also ease of use and continued developments. Twinmotion produced a pathtracer 2 full quarters sooner than lumion for instance.
Another reason, integration with quixel megascans and sketchfab.
and one more, twinmotion ships free with autodesk products now and utilizes the datasmith plugin.

Thanks Rene.

Price, learning curve and integration are the answer to the question.

Hopefully the Chief Elves were listening...

Happy New Year to All! 

Mark

I created a new Twinmotion Template that includes a number of different environments depending on what you turn on or off..

If you do not want to use Twinmotion for rendering but still want some background images, download TM and manipulate the tools as shown in the video and capture some screen shots for the Chief Camera or other things.
See video for full details - https://my-plan.stevenyhofdesigns.com/v/tZWaLrXKFRPvYDEQdlER

Unzip the file and rename the folder for your project. Open the Twinmotion.tm file and drop in your .3ds model file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Mdi9iTRTdGbQDO5Sia4wfQML7r1ZmlB4/view?usp=sharing

1.thumb.jpg.fdf58990b06331dc3122df63f9865139.jpg

• Upvote 3

On 1/6/2023 at 1:45 AM, stevenyhof said:

I am feeling very comfortable with TM now and learning more

Nice work!

You should explore creating videos with TM, if you haven’t already. Child’s play compared to Chief with much better results. 
Also checkout TwinMotion cloud so you can share your work with clients. 

• Like 1

Here is a house I just rendered in Twinmotion. About 4 hours of messing with materials, made my own can lights that I can insert anywhere and control everything about them. Everything inside the house is from Chief. 

2023-01-16-14.thumb.jpg.4e5a08f60e7f8ab400565466371716a6.jpg

2023-01-16-15.thumb.jpg.c9fd6cd9fe661b3065ad9b2c3078bb7a.jpg

Here is a final result after months of perfecting my process...

https://stevenyhofdesigns.com/new-home-construction/

3 hours ago, stevenyhof said:

Here is a house I just rendered in Twinmotion. About 4 hours of messing with materials, made my own can lights that I can insert anywhere and control everything about them. Everything inside the house is from Chief. 

Nice, looks like the hard work is paying off Steve.  I think you can remove the word Grass from the Thread Title now :)

M.

9 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Nice, looks like the hard work is paying off Steve.  I think you can remove the word Grass from the Thread Title now :)

I looked at the title, but my only option is to delete the thread.

I know the rendering has plenty of room for improvement, but I never thought I would be drawing something that nice at sixty. The young whipper-snappers in here may not fully comprehend pencil and paper and a drawing board. When I was in my teens I used to draw perspectives of the kitchens we sold. I even went so far as to draw the wood grain on the cabinets and put items on the counter. I feel like a school boy again with a new toy in Twinmotion. It's been fun but I have some work stacking up so I need to put it down for a bit. Anyway, a long answer to say thank you for offering encouragement. Thank you, Mick!

4 hours ago, stevenyhof said:

say thank you for offering encouragement. Thank you, Mick!

:) that goes both ways , I need to find sometime to have a good long play with TM and see if I really need itin my work flow..... I had hoped for better things with a 3080Ti and PBR-RTRT but as yet that hasn't happened.

Hmmmm I edit the 1st post of some of my Topics like the Nvidia Driver Thread often and I though you could edit the Title too?

M.

I hear you on the rendering, does it fit into my work flow. I am looking at it from a point of staying fresh with what is happening in the real world moving ahead so fast. I was always ahead of the game for years, but had so much invested into my time with AutoCAD and programming it that I was starting to look like the small kid in the block compared to the 3D modeling that was taking place, so I got into Chief and there too felt like I had a new lease on my business. I may not offer Rendering, but now I know I can do it, and if the client wants to spend the money, I can help them. 

I started this whole thing because work suddenly got a little slow over the holidays and I thought I better get some plans on the Internet for sale. I had done that years ago with some success. They now require photos or a rendering. Now I am working on a new website https://stevenyhofdesigns.com/ and will be creating all of my images using TM. That's the plan anyway, so I have a lot on my plate - keeps me out of trouble.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think I am about at the end, or at lease a good place to say that we can now produce a more life like grass in Chief. I know this thread was about Twinmotion, but I am back at Chief to do my renderings. I still use Twinmotions now and then, like to create new background images. I made like 20 new backgrounds, but I use them in a different way. Details in the link below...

Download the Library of Leaves, Clover and Grunge images from here...

• Upvote 2