Creating Crown Molding

stager386

I have created a "fake" house to work on a custom closet for a client. The closet has eaves and I've created ceiling planes to mimic the shape of the room. I want to add crown molding to the top of the ceiling plane and have it join with the crown molding of the closet built-ins.  I can't seem to create crown molding on the top of the ceiling plane. What's the nest method for doing this?

Thank you!

Untitled 1.jpg

Take a section view, do CAD detail from view, draw the profile in place that pleases you, edit>cut, go back to section view, paste>hold position, convert to 3D solid, make it maybe 12" "thick" (i.e. length) so you can spot it easily in plan view, then in plan view drag its ends where they belong.  Easier to do than to type out how.

With my setup, it'll be textured concrete, so I'd have to paint it to match the other moldings.  I just did a few of these in a plan to fill in some holes in drop ceilings under a staircase.

Sounds like you simply want crown to go around the ceiling of the room and connect with the closet crown?  If so:

1.  Remove crown from your cabinets.  Easier to get everything to line up if you remove the crown you attached through your cabinet dialog box.

2.  In plan view draw a CAD line (find it on top tool bar under CAD / lines / draw line) around the section of ceiling and cabinet where you want to add crown.

3.  Click on the CAD line you just drew and use a tool found on the lower tool bar called "convert polyline".  This tool looks like a little wand on top of a yellow square.

4.  Dialog box opens.  Select 3d polyline molding polyline.  Click Ok.

5.  Click on "moldings" (found on left side of dialog box).  

6.  Select a crown you'd like to use by clicking on "replace" (found on the right side of this dialog box).  I've shown the crown in "blue" on attached rendering.

7.  Crown will come into the dialog box and now you can decide how high it should be placed by clicking on "vertical offset".  If your ceiling is 96", then put 96" into "vertical offset".

8.  In plan view you can make adjustments if necessary. 

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.  There are several ways to create the crown, I just find this to be the easiest for me.

Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 1.03.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 1.01.00 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I saw that ceiling intersect as needing a custom molding. I'm a carpenter and have made and installed a lot of crown. No crown made for a 90 would look OK there.

I'd install a bevel block first at the right size, then the crown used elsewhere. The bevel block is the custom piece. A 3D solid.

4 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

Take a section view, do CAD detail from view, draw the profile in place that pleases you, edit>cut, go back to section view, paste>hold position, convert to 3D solid, make it maybe 12" "thick" (i.e. length) so you can spot it easily in plan view, then in plan view drag its ends where they belong.  Easier to do than to type out how.

With my setup, it'll be textured concrete, so I'd have to paint it to match the other moldings.  I just did a few of these in a plan to fill in some holes in drop ceilings under a staircase.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, solver said:

I see so many people making this error. No need for a 3D Molding Polyline, a simple Molding Polyline is all that's required.

Here is an example application for a 3D molding Polyline: https://youtu.be/_WoQgmpej2o

I've always done it here.

ct1.thumb.png.456f588f5c5c8b0652e2d392f0b17688.png

Thanks so much. I will try this tomorrow!!

2 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

I saw that ceiling intersect as needing a custom molding. I'm a carpenter and have made and installed a lot of crown. No crown made for a 90 would look OK there.

I'd install a bevel block first at the right size, then the crown used elsewhere. The bevel block is the custom piece. A 3D solid.

You're right!  I am glad you pointed that out. Thanks so much!

3 hours ago, SusanC said:

Sounds like you simply want crown to go around the ceiling of the room and connect with the closet crown?  If so:

1.  Remove crown from your cabinets.  Easier to get everything to line up if you remove the crown you attached through your cabinet dialog box.

2.  In plan view draw a CAD line (find it on top tool bar under CAD / lines / draw line) around the section of ceiling and cabinet where you want to add crown.

3.  Click on the CAD line you just drew and use a tool found on the lower tool bar called "convert polyline".  This tool looks like a little wand on top of a yellow square.

4.  Dialog box opens.  Select 3d polyline molding polyline.  Click Ok.

5.  Click on "moldings" (found on left side of dialog box).  

6.  Select a crown you'd like to use by clicking on "replace" (found on the right side of this dialog box).  I've shown the crown in "blue" on attached rendering.

7.  Crown will come into the dialog box and now you can decide how high it should be placed by clicking on "vertical offset".  If your ceiling is 96", then put 96" into "vertical offset".

8.  In plan view you can make adjustments if necessary. 

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.  There are several ways to create the crown, I just find this to be the easiest for me.

Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 1.03.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 1.01.00 PM.png

I appreciate your time!  This looks helpful, thanks!

1 hour ago, solver said:

I see so many people making this error. No need for a 3D Molding Polyline, a simple Molding Polyline is all that's required.

Here is an example application for a 3D molding Polyline: https://youtu.be/_WoQgmpej2o

I've always done it here.

ct1.thumb.png.456f588f5c5c8b0652e2d392f0b17688.png

And I would like to make the upper portion of the 2 eaves (created with ceiling planes) blend in with the ceiling color and the lower half the wall color.  I have tried cutting the ceiling planes in half, but when the new half meets the colors join and they revert back to one color. And I can't add a backsplash or material region to the eave.  Any other way to do this?  Thank you!