Using Library Links

Joe_Carrick

Chief's Core, Bonus & Manufacturer Libraries have a lot of similar named items and when searching the list of found items can be pretty long.

If you have a particular item that you use often:

• Copy and Place a LINK in your user Library.
  • Rename that LINK so that it's unique ( I prefer to just put a "_" in front of the name )

Now when you search you can just type the unique name and search will only find that item.

Note that the "LINK" will take very little memory since it's not a true copy of the Library Item - just a pointer to the original.

Of course, if you want to make any real changes to the Library Object in order for it to be different in some way then you'll need to actually PASTE it to your User Library.  In that case it will not be a LINK to Chief's original object.

10 minutes ago, solver said:

You may also restrict your search to only the User Catalog.

Not so easy to do if using a keypad like StreamDeck, etc.  

I'm pre-programming the searches to get items not available from Chief's Drop-down Toolbars.

Joe, unless I'm not fully understanding, you don't exactly describe how to create a link. Wouldn't it make more sense for most people to simply add keywords to the search attributes for frequently used objects?

31 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Joe, unless I'm not fully understanding, you don't exactly describe how to create a link. Wouldn't it make more sense for most people to simply add keywords to the search attributes for frequently used objects?

When you copy a library object you can then paste it in your user library.  There's an option at that time to "Paste Link".  Keywords can help, but there are tradeoffs because you may find more objects than you actually want.

Another thing that works is to begin the search with a quote mark.  That will also minimize what's found 

May I suggest that people adding shortcuts could also consider using a single keystroke in front of a symbol name instead of one that requires the shift button. Like this ' or perhaps the space bar. It's the really big button at the bottom of most keyboards and super easy to find!

You could also do the exact same thing with keywords and keep your user library folders a bit leaner.