Dormer cheek walls a mess

GeneDavis

Go to solution Solved by robdyck,

Plan attached.  The whole thing about roof cutting wall and pony walls and attic walls is a mystery to me when it comes to this arrangement.  I have tried for hours to get this cleaned up, but cannot.

It is 2x6 with siding above the roofs, 2x4 sheetrock below.  What's so hard about that?  The inside faces of the above and below wall are supposed to align, of course.

And then there is the wall corner bite.  What's that about?

Screenshot 2022-08-28 222946.jpg

Screenshot 2022-08-28 223045.jpg

Screenshot 2022-08-28 223225.jpg

Glen Road Top End.plan

13 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

The whole thing about roof cutting wall and pony walls and attic walls is a mystery to me when it comes to this arrangement.  I have tried for hours to get this cleaned up, but cannot.

In Chief, try to model it how it will be built. For the area to the left of the Unspecified (Bedroom?), you want the 2nd floor exterior cheek wall to extend inward to the ceiling break line. This means the interior partition should be split at that junction and then reverse layers of one of those portion to prevent re-joining.

image.thumb.png.40fdc8abddccf99472c75ec5992d533e.png

Then decide if the cheek wall will be cut by the roof OR if it will be a pony wall, split by the roof. If the latter, then select the lower wall type in the Roof tab of the Wall Spec. dialog.

If the former, the uncheck Lower Wall Type.

image.thumb.png.1c5289a95664f0f1072e1f3e68bc91d0.png

For the attic wall, I would uncheck 'Roof Cuts Wall at Bottom' and manually drag the wall into position in Elevation view. Chief will automatically build this wall wrong unless you split it into 2 portions (one for above the cheek wall and one that extends from the end of cheek wall to the ridge).

image.thumb.png.52ca5166603fad1b3906b46753c87ebd.png

For the 2nd Floor Bath cheek wall, you'll need to use a 2x6 interior wall for the lower portion because Chief will extend the floor platform out to the exterior of the 2x6 Siding wall (so it will show through from the main floor. Again, 2nd floor cheek wall should stop at the ceiling break line. This wall should NOT be cut by the roof. And, on the main floor, you'll need to pull the ceiling plane back so it does not cut that exterior cheek wall.

image.thumb.png.7d6383354d9ae2746b44506cdab9f459.pngimage.thumb.png.6db3c32b6bb7c793d0f8f91cd19c81dc.png