Material List by Layers?

donnabagdy

OK - I'm familiar with layers and creating a custom set based on selecting to view a custom selection of Layer to show.  

PROBLEM:  I've been "surprised" when I deselect a certain layer and something important disappears... but sadly may not know it for a few days. Often, it's because I don't pay too much attention to the default layer when placing items in a design and certain layers may be open to interpretation, like "Fixtures, Exterior". 

DESIRE:  A material list BY DEFAULT LAYER of all items.  I can create a material list and it contains everything, but not by Layer.  Can this be done?  More importantly, am I missing something critical if no one else has this challenge?

Thanks for your thoughts, Mark  

X14 Build 24.2.2.1 on Windows 10

Yes.  If you build a material list and use the edit active view tool, it has an "options" panel that lets you select a layer set to use (among other things).  The default "material list set" has everything turned on.  You can use a different layer set with only the things you want turned on.

I am not sure I follow you 100%, but I think this is what you are talking about.

You can specify a Layer Set that only reports objects on selected layers in the ML.

There is already a Materials List Layer Set included that may get you going.

This is from an existing ML:

.1488662011_ScreenShot2022-08-22at11_24_10am.thumb.jpg.ef6abbae1db064c1c006be1faad35224.jpg

And this is in the defaults:

346739179_ScreenShot2022-08-22at11_30_27am.thumb.jpg.f14436f609885dedbeb215434b7f7fbc.jpg

You might also investigate the use of a Material List Polyline (draw it around the extents of the drawing) which has it's own default (or on a case by case basis) and in which you can select from a whole range of options and objects to include/exclude from the ML. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 4.48.19 pm.jpg

Thank you both @DBCooper and @glennw!  That helped a lot.  However, I still feel there is a weakness and wonder if it is worth reporting --  Note in the following example of my Material List with Categories and SubCategories and the Materials by Layer Display.  I feel there is a disconnect (for example with Fixtures) where the Material List states ONLY ID = Fixtures, but The Layer Display options are Fixtures, Exterior / Interior / Labels.  And, the Sub Category in the Material List is empty for absolutely every entry.  To me, this appears an inconsistency, no?   However, to do what I need to do, I can manually interpret and get it done so not urgent.  Thanks again guys!  Mark and Donna