Elevations slow and empty

TriDiWorx

Go to solution Solved by robdyck,

Hello,

Can anyone help me please a bit. I posted a plan file and an image.

For some reason all elevation views are very slow. Opening them takes about 15 seconds. Switching between opened elevation tabs is also very slow. Drawing and doing other things is mostly ok, but some operations with elevations view are very slow. And my computer is not slow. It worked much better in x13. I worked a year on x13 and did not notice that elevations are so slow. I think this change in speed came with x14 update. And I cannot shake it. I don't know if it is something with settings that changed with the update, but I cannot find the issue. I used vector view also in x13. Its sometimes impossible to work. In posted plan file there is just a small shed and why does it take so long to open and render a view.

Second thing that happened in x14 and x13 is that opening elevation and its sometimes empty. For some reason it randomly loses focus and cannot figure it out why. Mostly I am able to find the drawing by scrolling out in a view. But sometimes like on the picture I am not able to find it anymore. Is there some autofocus button? Something like in AutoCAD. A command that finds all the details in a view and focuses screen on them?

I have the latest patch for x14 installed.

Cant find elevation.png

SHED.plan

• Solution

It is mainly caused by using the 'Clip Elevation' function. If you change 3 things the elevation view will open and operate much quicker

• uncheck "Clip Elevation" (use a cad mask to cover the floor slab)
  • uncheck "Clip Sides"
  • turn off layer 'Terrain Perimeter' (use a cad line to represent grade if needed).

As for the elevation view losing focus, that is bug (or use some other term) in X14 that seems to get passed over in the frequent updates.  One regularly needs to click the 'Fill Window' tool after opening an elevation or section view to a blank screen. I don't know why Chief doesn't remember the position of the camera / view and apparently neither do the program developers.

5 hours ago, robdyck said:

As for the elevation view losing focus, that is bug (or use some other term) in X14 that seems to get passed over in the frequent updates.  One regularly needs to click the 'Fill Window' tool after opening an elevation or section view to a blank screen. I don't know why Chief doesn't remember the position of the camera / view

I also find this to be true whether Cross Sections , Elevations, or Wall elevation Cameras....  the View looks empty when Opened, so I have to hit Fill window frequently.

10 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Maybe this is tied to Chief X14 not remembering our window sizes from one session to another. Who knows?

Over the years this has seemed like one of those "bugs" that comes and goes with different versions , or is worse in some than Others , but what the cause is I am sure.

M.

22 hours ago, robdyck said:

It is mainly caused by using the 'Clip Elevation' function. If you change 3 things the elevation view will open and operate much quicker

• uncheck "Clip Elevation" (use a cad mask to cover the floor slab)
  • uncheck "Clip Sides"
  • turn off layer 'Terrain Perimeter' (use a cad line to represent grade if needed).

As for the elevation view losing focus, that is bug (or use some other term) in X14 that seems to get passed over in the frequent updates.  One regularly needs to click the 'Fill Window' tool after opening an elevation or section view to a blank screen. I don't know why Chief doesn't remember the position of the camera / view and apparently neither do the program developers.

Nice!

Thank you. This helps a lot. Views are much faster. I would not thought of that clipping might slow the view down. I don't think it was so problematic in x13. I have done this for a year on x13 and only now it started to really bother me and slow me down.

Good tip for fill window button. I probably need to brush up my knowledge on functionality in Chief. As many of the buttons and functions are not used every day. So some buttons get overlooked. 

Thanks again.