Early Schematic Strategy..

Rashid_Garuba

I used Chief from V9 to X1,.. quit and just came back.  I never got to power user stage for various reasons.  One that was key I think was keeping Chief out of my way in the very early design stages. I always felt a pressure to make decisions that were frequently undecided too early.. What ended up happening is I would get bogged down with wall types, fixtures.. etc. (I even had to be draw exterior walls clockwise only -- has that changed??) which ultimately meant I ended up much slower than I was in 2d CAD..

So this time I am building my "best practices" wiki so things go better this time. 

When starting a job I want to start with a 3.5" "design" wall (main layers only) and specify no defaults. (when I use layered walls I have to zoom in a lot to avoid extra layers with the measure tool) I simply want a piece of paper that happens to be to scale. Do others start this way? Will I run into issues later selecting same type and THEN setting defaults? The room planner uses this basic principle but I haven't used it much...

Thanks

I always start with real paper and pencil. I can't sit at a computer and "design". I'm too old school I guess. Every plan I have designed..ever..began on a piece of paper, was developed, and then goes to the computer. 

I think you will find it easier to develop a really good template plan to start with. Drawing walls in with no layers and no real definition means you will have to go back at some point and re-do them. As for speed, that comes with practice. You are still thinking like a 2D designer. You have to "get with the program" so to speak. Chief Architect is first and foremost a 3D program. There is no way around that, and there are no shortcuts. You need to stop thinking like a CAD user, or you are always going to be in your own way.