Curved Staircase Custom Horizontal Railings?

jarrex

Is there a way to do a curved staircase with multiple horizontal railings? Closest thing by default is the Open with Middle Railing, but I need 6 railings, not one. When I created custom millwork, the railing does not bend with the curved stairs:

image.thumb.png.727be554077149f944efb90d5782ac36.png

I also tried the tutorial here: 

But it appears that window treatments do not bend the the curve of the wall I need:

image.thumb.png.6399208a4ecf7d9116edffc264aef652.png

Jarrex 

here is an other way to do it.

convert your panel to a symbol(window) then save that window to your library.

draw the curved wall and load that window, it auto curves with your wall.

finally delete surfaces and again convert it to a symbol(hope that is milwork)

hope that helps.

curved pannel.jpg

custom pannel window symbol.calibz

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, solver said:

Open the railing symbol and rotate it 180 degrees.

Are you referring to the "Rotation" in the "Edit Symbol"? Because no matter what I type in there, it never changes and if I save and re-open it resets to 90 degress: image.thumb.png.1cde71d3d38b8bfb507f8e9c453ed86f.png

Thanks Solver --

That works great for when the stairs are level, but it seems like if you have a curved stair with both sides railings you run into the issue of you can't use two different symbols for the two different railing sides. Additionally, it looks like the change in elevation also warps the railing design. (This is not the same railing symbol as the other one, but was recreated using the same method).

image.thumb.png.c9e755671ae6cfa5420d0392a6364e9a.png

possible solution...

Build (copy and paste) the same set of stairs in a new plan file. Turn off the stringers and risers. 

Delete every tread. There should be nothing left except for the railings. Convert the remaining railings to a symbol.  

import the new symbol (3 rail sections) into the active plan file.  

Raise or lower the imported railing symbol to create the equal spacing as necessary. ...It's pretty close to what you're aiming for. 

Edit... sorry. Just noticed that you're working in X-13. Either way this method will be the same in any of the latest versions. 

Snip20220629_87.png

stairs.plan

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

This drove me nuts for a long time but I recently figured out why the program behaves the way it does.

First the work around:

Change the width of the newel posts to 0" (or 1/64") and the spacing of the newels to something small like 2" (the smaller the number the smoother it will be). Then change the panel type and click OK. The downfall is that you will have to manually add in a post to represent a newel post.

The reason why CA acts the way it does:

Panels are determined by the distance from newel post to newel post. So if you tell CA that the distance is minimal and then input the width of the newel post as 0 (or 1/64th") the program essentially eliminates the newel post all together. 

Hope that helps!

Stairs.png

Stairs.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...