Inserting a sink into a Kohler base cabinet from the library

CJordanDesign

Go to solution Solved by CJordanDesign,

I added the Kohler Jacquard base cabinet to a powder room, added a custom countertop (since there was no countertop in the library item).  I am trying to add a sink and faucet from the library but it won't allow me to insert it. 

I realize this should not be difficult, I must be missing a step somewhere.  Thanks for any assistance!

Abrams Powder Room.plan

26 minutes ago, CJordanDesign said:

I am trying to add a sink and faucet from the library but it won't allow me to insert it. 

It seems it is seen in Chief as a Furniture Piece not a "Cabinet" so.......

Place the Sink on the Floor  ( agree to message ) and then open the sinks's specs ( DBX) and set the correct height ,

then using the CTRL Key, Slide/move the Sink back into the Cabinet.

( don't use the sink I did :) )

M.

image.thumb.png.5f29bbb3e474a387b8e1b930c299ece8.png

19 hours ago, solver said:

Do you get a message? What's stopping you from inserting it?

I don't get a message, I get the object icon when I select the undermount sink and when I hover over the cabinet with the custom countertop nothing happens.

I have also tried to change the layer of the Kohler cabinet to "base cabinet" but it still would not place the sink into the custom countertop.

• Solution
18 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

It seems it is seen in Chief as a Furniture Piece not a "Cabinet" so.......

Place the Sink on the Floor  ( agree to message ) and then open the sinks's specs ( DBX) and set the correct height ,

then using the CTRL Key, Slide/move the Sink back into the Cabinet.

( don't use the sink I did :) )

M.

image.thumb.png.5f29bbb3e474a387b8e1b930c299ece8.png

Thank you!  I was able to make it work by deleting the custom countertop and then placing the sink as you suggested.  Then, creating a new custom countertop AFTER the sink was placed.  When I did it before the sink was placed, the countertop went through the sink!  Thank you again.

1 hour ago, CJordanDesign said:

I have also tried to change the layer of the Kohler cabinet to "base cabinet" but it still would not place the sink into the custom countertop.

Just so you are clear the Issue here was that the Kohler Vanity is not a Cabinet, ( no idea why CA did that) it is a Furniture piece, and thus won't accept the sink like a Base cabinet will , it is nothing to do with the type of,  or use of the custom countertop.

M.

4 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Just so you are clear the Issue here was that the Kohler Vanity is not a Cabinet, ( no idea why CA did that) it is a Furniture piece, and thus won't accept the sink like a Base cabinet will , it is nothing to do with the type of,  or use of the custom countertop.

M.

Thanks for clarifying that!  I even tried to change the layer etc. to a Cabinet and that also did not make a difference.  Your solution did work.  Is there a way to change a Furniture piece so CA recognizes it as a Cabinet?  Maybe making it a new symbol?

19 minutes ago, CJordanDesign said:

Is there a way to change a Furniture piece so CA recognizes it as a Cabinet?  Maybe making it a new symbol?

It would be best to just use a Cabinet and modify it in the dbx to look the same as the Kohler Vanity.  The Cabinet Tool has all the features needed to create almost any Casework.  

You may notice that all of the "Cabinet Manufacturer Libraries" only have the materials, colors, etc.  They rely on the Cabinet Tool to provide the basic structure.

Chief had and maybe still provides a "Cabinet Symbol" tool - but it's not at all easy to use.  Using the Cabinet Tool provides a much better method.  Once you've configured a Cabinet you might want to use again - save it in the Library.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

It would be best to just use a Cabinet and modify it in the dbx to look the same as the Kohler Vanity.  The Cabinet Tool has all the features needed to create almost any Casework.  

You may notice that all of the "Cabinet Manufacturer Libraries" only have the materials, colors, etc.  They rely on the Cabinet Tool to provide the basic structure.

Thank you, will do!

33 minutes ago, CJordanDesign said:

Your solution did work.  Is there a way to change a Furniture piece so CA recognizes it as a Cabinet?  Maybe making it a new symbol?

As Joe mentioned it is easy to use a base cabinet to make those Cabinets yourself , but those Kohler Cabinets are really designed to take therr own pre-made Kohler Countertop and sink all in one unit "Tops" like the Solid Expression Line which are also in the Kohler Library....

M.