Rafter showing through drywall

Bob_Johnston

Hi Steve - thanks for the help. The thing that was really screwing me up was the "Roof Cuts Wall at Bottom" notation and how it prevented me from getting that attic wall in the correct position. All of the other wall issues stemmed from that - the siding and drywall on both sides worked correctly until the RCWaB was unchecked and then all hell broke loose.

I know there are still a lot of details that need work on this design, I just wanted to get this issue fixed before I moved ahead.

Thanks for the tips on getting the walls to join properly, I don't know how many times on a dormer situation the corners don't join up. What's worse is that everything will be fine and then out of nowhere I'll look at the exterior view and some frickin' corner doesn't have siding covering it... maddening.  :angry:

Chopsaw - thanks for the reply and video. I hadn't noticed that "special snapping" check box before... there are just so many little details to be aware of. I have no idea why those rafters were framed with 1x12's... I don't believe I did that (but I must have, right). Anyway, that certainly wasn't my intention. It also explains why the rafter tails of my returns were sticking down through the bottom of my eave soffit. That was driving me nuts too... I'd rebuild the roof framing and things would be fine and then I'd look later and those rafter tails would be sticking down through the eaves again.

I dunno. I'm looking at how that entire section of roof is framed and it seems very strange. I wouldn't build it like that in real life.

I'm reading the X14 thread you posted and they're talking about templates possibly being a problem. This plan was started in Home Designer Pro and then I upgraded to CA 13. Do you think that could be a problem?

I generally have quite a bit of cleanup to do with chief's auto framing if I am going to show it in a set of plans. 

As for your specific situation it is not likely that your template is responsible for the issues you are encountering but it is possible.  If you run into something that no one has a solution for then you can quickly model the situation in a stock template and check.  A lot of these things are known issues that have not been resolved for many versions though, and we keep hoping that they will isolate and fix the problems but some must be much harder than others.