Duplicated Plan View Layer Set, Now edits to one change both new view and original

VADA2020

Chief X13 - I wanted to create an Plumbing Plan View just like I have a mechanical and Electrical view. In project browser I right clicked on Elec Plan view and selected duplicate. I figured this was like Copy so I renamed it to Plumbing View and went to work on my plan. When I finished I clicked back to the Electrical Plan and oops, it had all the changes I made to the new plan view and my electrical work was lost. Clearly I went about this the wrong way and I still don't fully understand how the plan view layer sets work. Can anyone clear this up for me?

UPDATE: Now it looks like all my plan views are mixed up or overlapping. 

When you make a copy (or "duplicate") of a saved plan view, the program will not automatically make copies of the layer set or any of the other defaults that your saved plan view is using. 

So when you copied the Electrical Plan View and called it Plumbing Plan View it was still using the Electrical Layer Set.  If you then went and turned layers on/off and modified the settings, you were changing the way both views looked.  It was also still using the Electrical Dimension Defaults so if you made changes to them you would also affect how the dimensions work in both views.  The same with any of the other defaults.

So if you actually want to create a new saved plan view that is not sharing any layer settings or other defaults, you would also need to make copies of all of them.  One way to do this is to right-click on the new Plumbing Plan View you created and then use the Edit View tool.  If you go to the Selected Defaults panel, you will see that everything in your plumbing view is still using the electrical stuff.

You will find lots more information in this video series:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/#playlist-100

• Upvote 1

On 3/9/2022 at 6:59 PM, Dermot said:

When you make a copy (or "duplicate") of a saved plan view, the program will not automatically make copies of the layer set or any of the other defaults that your saved plan view is using. 

So when you copied the Electrical Plan View and called it Plumbing Plan View it was still using the Electrical Layer Set.  If you then went and turned layers on/off and modified the settings, you were changing the way both views looked.  It was also still using the Electrical Dimension Defaults so if you made changes to them you would also affect how the dimensions work in both views.  The same with any of the other defaults.

So if you actually want to create a new saved plan view that is not sharing any layer settings or other defaults, you would also need to make copies of all of them.  One way to do this is to right-click on the new Plumbing Plan View you created and then use the Edit View tool.  If you go to the Selected Defaults panel, you will see that everything in your plumbing view is still using the electrical stuff.

You will find lots more information in this video series:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/#playlist-100

Things such as label, dimension etc. are still duplicated to the new saved plan view, even if you change the layer set settings etc. You cannot place a label and a new dimension just on the duplicated saved view, without it being replicated to the original saved plan view. There should be a setting to make this possible.

There should be a setting to make this possible.

Those things are controlled by layers.  Different views can use different layer sets.  So yes, you can draw a dimension or display a label in one saved plan view and not have it display in another one.  I would highly recommend that you also watch the video series I posted above.

On 3/9/2022 at 12:08 PM, VADA2020 said:

UPDATE: Now it looks like all my plan views are mixed up or overlapping. 

Import the Saved Plan Views (SPV) from a  "Known Good" Plan to correct them in the Current Plan .......

Then in your Plumbing SVP you need to make a dedicated Default for Plumbing for each setting in the

Selected Defaults TAB after you , Right Click > Edit View .

At 1st just create a new Default for each, with the green cross ( you can edit each one later as needed with the pencil icon ),

and when done with them all..... at the top save a new Plumbing Default Set  ( icon will now be red ).

If you need more Help PM me.

image.thumb.png.fa5831ba4affe60952a08f5e05eb78b2.png

• Upvote 1