Terrain discontinuous in backclipped section

LightHouse_Doug

When I take a backclipped section through terrain, the top of terrain line is always discontinuous. Sometimes I can get around it by increasing the depth of the section, but ideally I am taking the section through a very small area so I can get an accurate picture of the terrain at that specific point. Not a layer issue, I have turned everything on. 

Example screenshot attached. Happy to post a plan but this has happened in every plan. Maybe it is something to do with the terrain not actually being a solid object? 

Thanks. 

terrain problem.png

Yes it works well shooting an elevation towards and up slope but unfortunately the terrain is transparent from the underside so it disappears from the view of the camera when looking at the underside.  Perhaps a suggestion that the transparency could be optional for a specific camera would help us all out ?

2 minutes ago, LightHouse_Doug said:

Chopsaw, I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean - if I take a section perpendicular to the contours, why would I be looking at the underside of the terrain? 

If you cut a section of a natural terrain condition it is quite likely that you will have some "ground" that slopes away from the camera and some that slopes toward the camera.  If it is sloping toward the camera you should see a continuous section line.  If it is sloping away from the camera it will appear transparent since you are looking at the underside of the surface. Try it on a simple slope with a camera facing each way.

18 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

If you cut a section of a natural terrain condition it is quite likely that you will have some "ground" that slopes away from the camera and some that slopes toward the camera.  If it is sloping toward the camera you should see a continuous section line.  If it is sloping away from the camera it will appear transparent since you are looking at the underside of the surface. Try it on a simple slope with a camera facing each way.

I see what you mean. I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't also be seeing the "top" of the terrain at the point closest to you, if it is sloping away, but the mind of Chief is beyond me :) I will make the suggestion. Thanks. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LightHouse_Doug said:

I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't also be seeing the "top" of the terrain at the point closest to you, if it is sloping away, but the mind of Chief is beyond me :) I will make the suggestion. Thanks.

That would certainly solve the problem.  It should at least generate a clip or section line and I think it would make a lot more sense to most people.