Serious error after clean Windows 11 pro reinstall

TriDiWorx

Go to solution Solved by TriDiWorx,

Hello,

I thought I post my issue here also. I already opened a new case about this to technical support, but maybe someone here knows something about that. I am not sure how long support answers on these cases and I really need this issue sorted fast. Thanks in advanced if someone can help :)

I bought a new laptop and made a clean reinstall of Windows 11 pro.
Also did a clean reinstall on my PC to Windows 11 pro.
Both computers are fully up to date. All windows updates are done, graphic drivers are new, Chief Architect is a clean install and even BIOS is up to date. On laptop graphics drivers are from windows update and on PC I installed AMD pro drivers from a manufacturer website.
Chief did not open even once on both of them. At first start-up I get an error. Error comes just after I insert serial key for activation. And yes I did unassign my key from another computer before trying on a second computer. Both computers get same error. All the info on the pictures.

LAPTOP INFO.zip PC INFO.zip

It doesn't appear to me that either of your compurters have the required GPUs to use with X13.  However, it could be just that you've not set Chief to use the correct GPU.  The RX 6800 XT might be OK but you definitely need to check to see that the Intel GPU is not being used for Chief.

Not much to go on just based on the error message.  This is a very generic message that just means the program ran into something bad that probably would have caused a crash in the past.

Also, you might want to call technical support since they will be closed tomorrow and through the weekend.

First though, you might want to verify that your system does meet the system requirements.  More info can be found here:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/sysreq.html

If it does, and you can't get a hold of tech support, then you might want to check out these tech articles:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00365/message-a-serious-error-occurred.html

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00214/troubleshooting-installation-problems.html

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03049/troubleshooting-chief-architect-software-closing-unexpectedly-on-windows.html

The hardware should not be the issue. As I wrote that PC is the same as it was before. I have been working with Chief for about 4 months now on the same PC. The only difference is that before I was using a Windows 10 home and now Windows 11 pro. If I look around Chief forums then some users are using Chief already for a long time with Windows 11. Also I updated BIOS for TPM 2.0 support and compatibility with Windows 11.

RX 6800 XT is a stronger version of RX 6800 which is in recommended system requirements. As I have seen in forums then people are using Chief even on Microsoft surface pros and on Inter Iris XE laptops just fine. So should not be a problem with the laptop either. Laptop also has WIndows 11 pro. Intel Iris XE is on Chiefs "Intel supported chipsets" list.

It is weird as both computers are completely different and seem to be supported all the way through. But I get the exact same message on both of them. And after clean windows reinstall, full update and clean Chief install. It is like something is wrong with Windows 11, drivers or my licence key. But drivers are different for both computers. I do not understand what to look for or even try. This error message is completely useless. If Chief software finds that something is wrong then It should at least point in a direction of the issue. Even the message log in appdata is a generic one and tells absolutely nothing.

Any suggestions from Windows 11 pro users? Because right now it is the only logical thing that is in common with both computers. 

• Solution

Great stuff. Had to nuke about 2 days worth of work trying to set up my old PC and new laptop on windows 11 pro. And the only reason for this is because Chief Architect is weird as hell. 

While searching for an answer tried as a last resort to do a full windows reinstall again, but this time windows 11 home not pro. Turns out that it worked. When you set up windows 11 home then setup asks you to log in to your Microsoft account (personal). When I was installing windows 11 pro then I chose an option to "set up windows for work or school" and logged in with my business account (azure ad) and this account became administrator of operating system. After windows 11 home I tried to reinstall windows again and this time I installed windows 11 pro and chose "set up computer for personal use". Then installation asks you for your Microsoft account (personal) and this account becomes administrator. And again it worked like this. on both computers. First time I had azure ad as computer admin on both computers and got this error. Then I set up both computers on windows 11 pro for personal use with Microsoft accounts and added my work account in as a secondary just for apps.

For whatever weird reason Chief does not like if computer is governed by work account (azure ad). No driver difference, just this administrator account. All of my software work fine, but no, Chief just has to be different.