Stair Dialog For Height not working properly?

Doug_N

From the help text for this DBX here is how the height reference is supposed to work.

The Top Height Reference values control what point on the staircase the Top Height value, below, describes.

Select Floor/Landing for the Top Height value to describe the height of the top tread plus the stated Riser Height.
Select Top Riser for the Top Height value to describe the height of the top riser.  (I have copied this text and pasted it in the graphic as well.)

2089123567_DialogHeights.thumb.jpg.81eb29a599b3dc6989e417572c8c92fa.jpg

Except that doesn't work if Automatic Heights is checked.  In fact, once OK is clicked the default goes back to Floor/Landing.  Why is this?  Is this just my installation or is this true for everyone?

If Automatic Height is checked, then why are you concerned about the height? The only point to those boxes is to provide 2 different points of reference when manually adjusting the height. 

Also noticed that Chief's "Help" has used the wrong terminology for this section (riser should be replaced with "tread"):

Select Top Riser for the Top Height value to describe the height of the top riser.

I sometimes would prefer to have the top tread flush with the upper floor level.    This is especially helpful when connecting to a 2 x 6 floor joist without fancy drop blocking to connect to the stringers.   

Examiners are now requiring framing details for how the stair stringers are connected.

In Chief, you'll need to uncheck automatic heights, then select the Top Tread option and make the necessary height adjustment. Make sure the bottom of the stair is locked first.

As for stair connection details, that's easily taken care of with a generic detail.

Rob, 

My point is that this feature should work automatically.   It is in that group, and if it is not intended to work automatically the program should grey out or uncheck the auto height button if tread is selected.